Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bay Laurier Bush & Brown Scale

Posted by AaronRWise 5a (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 23:05

Last summer I purchased a bay laurier bush and repotted it. at the end of the summer I brought it indoors and it seemed to do fine.

Sometime over the winter it got brown scale and I didn't notice till about a week ago (after I brought it outdoors). I've washed the plant, wiped every leaf and the stem and removed the vast majority of the scale. I'm scared I missed a small section and it will take over again.

I've seen some sites say to dip a cotton swab in rubbing alcohol and then wipe the leaves/stems. I'm scared of poisoning the plant by doing this. Has anyone tried it?

I don't want to use any harsh chemicals, as I'll be using the leaves for cooking once it gets really growing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bay Laurier Bush & Brown Scale

Alcohol will not harm plants such as bay, jade, cactus and such. I know because I've used it to clean off scale as well as mealy bugs on houseplants. Just be sure not to soak the plant in it and do not rub too hard or you might damage the plant.

Alcohol leaves no residue as it evaporates quickly and completely. So it's probably safe to use the leaves in cooking.

o
RE: Bay Laurier Bush & Brown Scale

Thanks Diana - I'll get to it as soon as it cools down a bit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here