Houzz Logo Print
diane_v_44

corn gluten

diane_v_44
13 years ago

I purchased a large bag of corn gluten a product from Collingwood Ontario

I forget now the company name

At any rate I have used this before and for lawns it is amazing

This year I put down the gluten covering the lawns and before rain.

Next morning, there are flocks of birds on the grass front and back. Not much of the gluten left having been eaten by the birds.

Nice treat for them

I emailed the company and they agreed for me to come u to Collingwood and get another bag of the product, which was terrific, of them.

It was expensive enough so I was quite pleased

Now, I would like to apply this again but what if the birds just eat it all up.

I said to the company representative with whom I spoke that I would put it all through my blender He thought not to do so as there is an oil emulsifier in it and the product would become a paste.

As well it would take ages to do so and not so good for the blender.

It now comes as a pellet, nice yellow pellet

Thought before re applying I would write here to see if anyone has thoughts on the subject

Comments (9)

• ianna
    13 years ago

it works on germinating seeds and it doesn't discriminate whether that's a grass seedling or a weed so be aware of this when using the product.

To prevent birds from eating the stuff, simply top them off with sand.

• marricgardens
    13 years ago

Hi Diane: aren't you in Barrie? Have you checked the co-op there to see if they sell the gluten? I buy mine at the co-op in Stayner. Just to let you know that my dog eats it so I have to her inside when I spread it. Now I usually just top it with some soil after spreading. Marg

• diane_v_44
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Ladies for the comments

Have not put the gluten down yet, for the second time.
    Still contemplating the idea of those birds eating it.

Yes could put a bit of sand or topsoil over it all
    But that would be quite a bit of work really.

I have used it several times ianna, just not as often in this form kind of a pellet shape

Even after being rained on a couple of times the pellets had not dissolved.

I didn't think of looking for it marric at the co op and was just in Stayner the past week.

Don't you agree it is a terrific product.

How are your gardens, Mine looks pretty good this year

Third year at this property and things are beginning to take shape as I would like.

• ianna
    13 years ago

then the other option is to mix in the topsoil or sand with the gluten.

• marricgardens
    13 years ago

It works on seeds, not established plants. I put it on my raised beds each year. Marg

• diane_v_44
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Marg

Why did you put the gluten on your raised beds.
    For weeds or as a fertilizer.
    I have not yet put the second application on my yard Concerned about those darn birds eating it again
    I just love the product
    Am going to look at the Coop yet as they may have it in another form than those pellets

• marricgardens
    13 years ago

Diane, I always put it on as a weed killer. It will only kill seeds that haven't germinated not established plants so you may have to put it on several times. I usually put it on in spring and again in the fall. How big is your yard/area that you want to do? You could always do what people with ponds do, string fishing line just above the surface to deter the birds. BTW, I don't think it comes in granulated form. With the fishing line, the pelleted form should work. We have lots of birds and I've never seen them eat it. Marg

• diane_v_44
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't use it so much for killing wees as I don't have many in the lawn areas I find though it really makes the grass green

I have a pond as well why do you have fishing line I don't have trouble with birds in my pond eating fish or plants

I had never seen the birds eat the gluten other years either.
    just hesitate to apply it again Maybe wait til fall

• BarbWagner
    10 years ago

The Scott's Fertillizer with Corn Gluten Weed Prevent is CRAP! LIke the original poster I found that birds were gobbling it up packing at least 5 pellets at a time in their beaks, flying off and then coming back for more day in and day out since I spread the stuff. We've also had plenty of rain, it's been 3 weeks and the pellets that are left look no different than when I spread them. It may well make for good fertilizer IF the birds leave it alone but not at my house. They have nearly stripped the area bare. Is this stuff even safe for the birds to eat?! And what about the chicks that are getting this stuff fed to them? The bag says it's toxic, causes burning and vomiting should not be induced if swallowed so clearly it's not safe for human consumption and requires medical care if you are burned by it or a child accidentally swallows it. Unless they change it from pellet form to a more reasonable size that won't be immediately taken away by birds (or harm the birds), I'm not using it again.