Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noplacelikehomeforsure

Red Cape Fuchsia

Does anyone know where I could get this plant.

I came across a picture of a planting of them the other day and it would be wonderful for attracting hummingbirds.

I have tall red monarda which are starting to flower now. but they are so straggly looking. I have cut some of the stems back a bit in the hope that they will fill out and start to look a bit more presentable in the border. The hummingbirds love them, as you know, and it's always a thrill to catch a glimpse. I would like to have a few more small monarda plantings, just scattered here and there in the border for the hummingbirds, but I don't think the tall red monarda do "a little here and there", unless someone has some advice for me in that regard!

Kind regards, and thank-you!

Comments (6)

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

These plants are from south africa and only hardy to zone 7. You don't mention your zone so I don't know if they will be hardy for you. If you want a similar plant try nicotiana

• ianna
    14 years ago

In Ontario, fuschias are considered annuals. In British Columbia however, there exist a hardy form of fushia.

Honeysuckle vines are another way to bring hummingbirds to your garden.

Another way to attract hummingbirds is to hang hanging bird feeders by the way.

I;m not clear on what you want concerning the monarda planting.

Ianna

• flora2b
    14 years ago

I am growing phygelius 'moonraker' which is a white variety of the red cape fuchsia, and have been for about 4 years. I do cover it in the winter and so far so good. It is only supposed to be hardy to zone 7....maybe some varieties are a little tougher.
    Good luck on your search.....I got mine in a trade.

• noplacelikehomeforsure
    Original Author
    14 years ago

flora2b, oilpainter and ianna - thanks for your replies, and I'm sorry I haven't got back to you before now!

ianna, what I was trying to say about the monarda, but not explaining very well, was firstly, I was wondering how I could have a little planting of the tall red monarda here and there in the border, for the hummingbirds, but as the roots are so invasive, that might be a little tricky! Then I thought maybe I could plant smallish divisions in pots with the bottoms cut out, rather like containing mint, - just a few here and there, to attract the hummingbirds to spots further along the border.

Another question about the monarda, I've tried cutting some of the outside stems back a little to try to make them branch out a bit, and make the planting look not so straggly, but they seem to prefer just growing straight up. Some of them are starting to branch out a little where I've pruned, so I'll wait and see!

The tall red lobelia are starting to open now, and the hummingbirds love them, and I have hanging planters with flowers that they like, particularly Gartenmeister fuschia.

I do have feeders hanging, but they do seem to prefer the flowers.

I noticed a post tonight about columbines. I have tried to grow them in the past, but have always had a problem with miner insect damage, and have given up! This spring I have noticed some lovely healthy plants in peoples' gardens, and I wonder how they do it! Could anyone give any advice on this?

Please excuse my long-winded post - again!

• ninamarie
    14 years ago

PHYGELIUS x rectus 'Cherry Ripe' or Cape Fuschia is rated hardy to zone 6. My best guess is that it will be hardy here with snow cover, but I have not tested it yet.
    I do know where it is available, but cannot tell without breaking the forum's advertising laws.

• medinger_ahgmac_com
    12 years ago

I've grown cape fuschia here for 3 years now. They are just starting to poke through the ground. I love them. They grow quickly, flower profusely & for at least 2 months, & the hummingbirds love them. The flowers are smaller & narrower than the annual type but you are rewarded by many more flowers. I provide mine with Winter protection, wrap it & have it planted away from the harsh winds ( between my home & my neighbor's )where it only gets sun from 1-6pm. I tried taking a clipping off of it late last Summer & I am still waiting to see growth on the transplant. If you have a place & the opportunity to plant one, definitely do so.

Sponsored