Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dianasan_gw

Planting Bearded Irises

dianasan
12 years ago

I'm transplanting my bearded irises. I've dug them up, cut off old and damaged rhisomes, and cut back the leaves, forming 'leaf fans'.

I've been to the Iris Forum and various other sites, but I still don't know for sure how to plant the rhisomes in a triangle.

If the leaf fan is attached to the 'heel' part of the rhisome, and the other end of the rhisome is the 'toe', how do I plant them in a triangle? With 'toes' pointing in or pointing out?

Comments (9)

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Flat side of the fan facing forward.

Annette

• ianna
    12 years ago

goodness I'm learning something new each day. I planted many irises and always just planted them without a design.

12 years ago

Ianna, I've always planted my bearded iris this way, when I plant the top part of the rhizome shows above ground so the sun, that is when we get some can get at them. As the clumps increase in size they grow forward, spent rhizomes to the back (When I'm in constructive staring mode they don't stare back at me LOL). Just my opinion, but I think they look more attractive this way.

Annette

• dianasan
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Great. That's how I planted them. Thanks for your response.

These guys really multiply! I purchased 10 rhisomes from Vessey's a few years ago which have turned into 48 which I just replanted, not counting the many 'mothers' and damaged ones I discarded.

• diane_v_44
    12 years ago

I as well have been digging up Iris

Now early July
    and I have been discarding most of them
    Actually I live on a fairly busy street. Lots of people walking and driving buy yet sort of country. Nice enough spot
    At any rate Seems what I dig up as the perennial has outgrow it's location is when put along the sidewalk, soon picked up.

For sure the iris really seem to multiply readily
    In this mixed border bed, in particular, where the soil is but average, and lots of sunlight and not a lot of water, other than what nature provides, the Iris really have outgrown their space.

• ianna
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info. that probably explains why my irises have been growing into a hedge! I'll have to reposition them.

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Just another suggestion. I was just reading in The Iris Big Book that planting in a triangle about a foot apart or better with the toes in is the best way to plant. I have usually turned the toes toward the sun but now that I think of it, the ones I have sort of planted in a circle seem to have done better. They sort of form a ring and all the toes are hidden in the middle. They still get sun apparently and are easier to tend to. So the book says........I have well over 400 TB. IB, BB and SDB iris in my yard.

12 years ago

Honalee, over 400 hundred, at one time I had 50-75 and thought I had a lot. Another GWer has got me started collecting again, not that I need much of a push LOL. I used to have a very large collection of fuchsias (in the hundreds) but that was back in the 80's. What a lovely vision your iris must make when they are in bloom, any pix?

Annette

• Ginny McLean_Petite_Garden
    12 years ago

Annette- I have a few individual pics on Photbucket but as yet not had all of them blooming. Many are in desperate need of dividing and need to be moved. Hope to be moving in the fall so they will go thru the rest of the process. I also have over 200 peonies and a daylilly collection that is growing fairly steady! There are worse addictions that are certainly not as pretty or heavenly sent-ed! ;)

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs