Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting Bearded Irises

Posted by dianasan z5a Mtl (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 4, 11 at 1:16

I'm transplanting my bearded irises. I've dug them up, cut off old and damaged rhisomes, and cut back the leaves, forming 'leaf fans'.

I've been to the Iris Forum and various other sites, but I still don't know for sure how to plant the rhisomes in a triangle.

If the leaf fan is attached to the 'heel' part of the rhisome, and the other end of the rhisome is the 'toe', how do I plant them in a triangle? With 'toes' pointing in or pointing out?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting Bearded Irises

Flat side of the fan facing forward.

Annette

o

goodness I'm learning something new each day. I planted many irises and always just planted them without a design.

o

Ianna, I've always planted my bearded iris this way, when I plant the top part of the rhizome shows above ground so the sun, that is when we get some can get at them. As the clumps increase in size they grow forward, spent rhizomes to the back (When I'm in constructive staring mode they don't stare back at me LOL). Just my opinion, but I think they look more attractive this way.

Annette

o

Great. That's how I planted them. Thanks for your response.

These guys really multiply! I purchased 10 rhisomes from Vessey's a few years ago which have turned into 48 which I just replanted, not counting the many 'mothers' and damaged ones I discarded.

o

I as well have been digging up Iris

Now early July
and I have been discarding most of them
Actually I live on a fairly busy street. Lots of people walking and driving buy yet sort of country. Nice enough spot
At any rate Seems what I dig up as the perennial has outgrow it's location is when put along the sidewalk, soon picked up.

For sure the iris really seem to multiply readily
In this mixed border bed, in particular, where the soil is but average, and lots of sunlight and not a lot of water, other than what nature provides, the Iris really have outgrown their space.

o

Thanks for the info. that probably explains why my irises have been growing into a hedge! I'll have to reposition them.

o

Just another suggestion. I was just reading in The Iris Big Book that planting in a triangle about a foot apart or better with the toes in is the best way to plant. I have usually turned the toes toward the sun but now that I think of it, the ones I have sort of planted in a circle seem to have done better. They sort of form a ring and all the toes are hidden in the middle. They still get sun apparently and are easier to tend to. So the book says........I have well over 400 TB. IB, BB and SDB iris in my yard.

o

Honalee, over 400 hundred, at one time I had 50-75 and thought I had a lot. Another GWer has got me started collecting again, not that I need much of a push LOL. I used to have a very large collection of fuchsias (in the hundreds) but that was back in the 80's. What a lovely vision your iris must make when they are in bloom, any pix?

Annette

o

Annette- I have a few individual pics on Photbucket but as yet not had all of them blooming. Many are in desperate need of dividing and need to be moved. Hope to be moving in the fall so they will go thru the rest of the process. I also have over 200 peonies and a daylilly collection that is growing fairly steady! There are worse addictions that are certainly not as pretty or heavenly sent-ed! ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here