Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merricat_gw

A Question re: Sago Palms (may need a botanist)

merricat
16 years ago

Hello.

I have a little sago (sego? sp?) palm that I've had for about 3 years. It was only a quartet of short, stiff green "first fronds" when I bought it. It set out another set of longer leaves (more curly, a bit sunburnt), and it's finally beginning to uncoil some new, soft growth. It's had a hard life, I'm working on making it happier, and I think it's going to forgive me.

One thing puzzles me a great deal: The short, spiky "branches" on the very bottom are doing some odd things. They're all quite brown, but since they haven't dropped off and haven't shown any disease I've left them there.

I was misting the plant and these fronds started growing green at the tips. I thought it was a trick of the light - surely these long-time-brown-and-dry "leaves" must be dead! - but no: the green was definitely there. I gave it more water and the green spread. Now I have 1 of the fronds a pale green all over (still very stiff), 2 more that have dark-green tips and pale green inner areas, and one "still dead".

How is this possible?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

(And a hello to everyone else here at GW. NO garden this year for me, but I hope you're all having a wonderful, green, not-too-hot summer)

Love,

Merri

Comment (1)