Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
merricat_gw

Strawberries + greenhouse = WHOA!

merricat
17 years ago

I wonder if I'll EVER have a gardening year where my strawberries don't go off and do strange alien-mutant things...

I had planned on putting everything together with my strawberry barrel (I posted plans here, let me know if you want them and I'll repost the link). It's a great idea, but we're ripping out the deck right now and things are crowded. The berries had been buried in the yard (in pots) for the winter, and almost as they were unearthed they were already putting out flowers. I decided to just cut all runners and put them in our little cheapo-greenhouses so I'd be able to keep an eye on them. I didn't expect much: just for them to survive so I could properly plant them next year.

That was 4 days ago. I've just brought in a huge basket of berries, and more should ripen tomorrow. They LOVE their small pots and hot house. Many itty bitty offshoots are already starting to put out flowers.

I may have to rethink this barrel idea. I can't imagine them doing any better than they're doing now.

A nice surprise....for a change!

Love,

Merri

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting