Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mystery_gardener

Gloriosa rothschildiana (Gloriosa Lily)

Mystery_Gardener
17 years ago

This is the first year we have got these to bloom. I hope we can overwinter them properly so they will get larger. Even with only a few flowers they are pretty cool.

{{gwi:533886}}
G.R Top view

{{gwi:533887}}
G.R Side view

Cheers,

MG

Here is a link that might be useful: My website

Comments (6)

• bonniepunch
    17 years ago

Very nice! I love those! They were our favourite flower last year.

I stupidly forgot about mine when I was packing my bulbs away last fall. I left them on a shelf without any peat around them and then the old 'out of sight, out of mind' adage came into play when I put a bunch or other packed up bulbs in front of them. I found the dried up tubers in the spring, and tried them anyway - they were dead :-(

Oh well, I'll buy some more next spring and hopefully pay more attention to them! I rarely make the same stupid mistake twice.

BP

• diane_v_44
    17 years ago

I have them growing, in the little place I have in Florida. They bloom just about the time I leave to come back up to Canada. They look just so unique.
    Some people have them naturalized in my area. It is a sight to see , for sure

Thanks for the photo.

What I have been doing the past two years, when digging up the tropical bulbs to store indoors, over winter. Is to pot them in old plastic window boxes, one of my daughters gave to me, that she never used.
    I pot them in a good light potting mix, dry. Then when I get back from Florida, end of April, usually, I just carry all the window boxes outside, in a sheltered spot, water them and maybe cover them if there is frost, then once they send up shoots, I take them out and put them into the garden or large pots or whatever.
    It works well, and I get flower earlier.
    This year my Dahlias and Cannas, look very good.

• Mystery_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

BP: You must be a wise person, something I am trying to be. To this point I have only made it to wise guy ;-)

Diane: Thanks for the storage tip. Do you store your Dahlias and Cannas in a similar fashion?

The first flower has gone totally red now, no yellow left. Cool.

Cheers,
    MG

Here is a link that might be useful: Our website

• bonniepunch
    17 years ago

MG - it's more like one of those things where if you say it often enough you hope it will come true :-)

I do not make stupid mistakes twice.I do not make stupid mistakes twice.I do not make stupid mistakes twice.I do not make stupid mistakes twice.I do not make stupid mistakes twice.I do not make stupid mistakes twice.

Now if I can only figure out how not to make them the first time :-)

BP

• diane_v_44
    17 years ago

I do keep mostly Dahlias this way. It really does seem to work well.
    I have never been able to prepare the Dahlia tubers, as I see Dahlia experts do. With success.
    I do cut the clumps up as much as I think will be okay. Let them dry a few days and then put them into the containers, (mostly the clean plastic window boxes) and not touching one another, for the winter. Dry soil, packed down lightly.
    Interesting thing about gardening, I find, is that you learn a great deal about patience.

Could you send another photo of the Gloriosa Lily now turned red.
    I don't worry about the Canna tubers as much as long as the tubers are larger, even when divided.
    I put them into the ground end of April , usually. The soil is sandy loam here, beautiful soil and is warm early. Doesn't seem that a little frost hurts them.

• Mystery_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Diane:

Here is a photo of the GR lily when it has turned completely red.

{{gwi:533888}}

Cheers,
    MG

Here is a link that might be useful: Our website

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz