Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Astilbe

Posted by nico6196 Guelph, ON (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 1, 07 at 6:21

I purchased an Astilbe x arendsii 'Erica' last year and I have noticed that it flowers a different color than what was on the plant tag. My plant tag shows a pink color but it actually flowers a really, really pail pink (almost cream color). Could the tag have been wrong or is there something missing from the soil that is causing this? Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Astilbe

Nico,

The colour of the plant tag may have misled you. The Erica does not bloom in what I term to be a real pink, but more of the colour which you describe.

Unfortunately plant tags and photos in gardening magazines and catalogues are sometimes not the true colour of the plants. This is expecially true when the colour blue is involved.

o

At least yours are flowering:-( I got mine last year and they are in a semi-shady garden. They are still very small, no flowers at all. When I got them they were a lot bigger than what they have grown to this year. I seem to have no luck with them. This is the tird time I have tried them, in three different gardens, and still no luck.

o

Sunny,

Make sure they are in moisture retentive rich soil. Mulch them as well. Keep them away from midday sun.

Moisture is the key. My soil is a bit clayish in an area where I have about 20+ Astilbes which were started from seed. The clay holds the moisture, but I also mulch with good compost every spring, and so the soil has begun to enrich itself. You can also try giving them a feeding of bonemeal. But make wure their roots never dry up in the first year or so.

Once established, they will be fine. Resist the temptation to move them, but also remember that they do need to be divided every once in a while, all depending on how quickly they grow. If you see them starting to decline after a few good years, that's the time to divide.

There are also some Astilbes which are tougher than others in terms of not being as fussy about watering and sun/shade requirement. These include the Arendsii and Chinensis, both of which come in varying colours and sizes.

It's a great plant. Don't give up!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here