Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greylady_gardener

some questions about my garden

greylady_gardener
15 years ago

good morning all! I have some questions that have been in my head for a while when I am in the garden, but never get them in here to ask to see if I can get some answers. Today is the day! :)

1. I have several plants, mainly annual poppies, but not all, that did not grow to their full potential this year. They were tiny in fact, but still put out a cute 'little' flower. My question is: Will the seeds produced by these tiny flowers make full sized plants next year or should I not bother to collect them?

2. I WS nicotiana 'only the lonely' this year and planted out in the back of my one gardens, thinking that they would reach their full height. Since planting them out, they have done nothing! Can I still expect anything to happen? Will they still have time to grow and send up a flower? Right now they are just a small, flat, rosette of leaves, like they were (okay maybe a 'bit' bigger) when they went in a month ago.

3. I recently noticed that my red bee balm has several 'double-decker flowers in the clump. About six or seven flowers have sent a second stem several inches (some as much as three or four inches) up from the middle of the flower and made a second flower on top. I know that I have seen a flower on a rare occassion do that by sending a short stem and partial second flower up maybe an inch above the first, but this is a lot of flowers and the stems are tall with fully formed flowers. Is this normal?

Okay enough questions for this post. :)

tia!!

gg

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!