Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andy2007

what is cornmeal and where to buy?

andy2007
17 years ago

My lawn is 60ftx50ft and has developed some large dead grass

patches (3-4 of them about 20sqft and a few are just 1sqft each).

I am told to reseed the patches and use cornmeal to treat the

fungus that could be there. Can someone tell me how to

reseed these patches and if I need cornmeal where do I go

to buy it in Mississauga, Ontario? Please some suggestions

Andy2007

Comments (5)

• ianna
    17 years ago

I've never heard of using cornmeal against fungus. Then again, I'm always learning something new and so if this true, I'll use the technique. Cornmeal is easily found in supermarkets, in the baking section. It's used to make cornmeal bread, muffins, etc..

I suppose the information you received is to use cornmeal and not corn glutten. Corn glutten will prevent new seeds from growing.

if there is fungus in those patches, you will need to cut out the entire area with a generous allowance of the good grass surrounding the affected area. YOu will also need to dig deep to remove the remaining fungus. Throw away the stuff and don't dispose of it in your compost pile. Add new top soil, and simply reseed. But since it is near summer now, wait until fall. When it's too hot, seeds won't germinate. The other solution, is to buy a few rolls of sod and fill the area with the new sod. This new sod will require frequent watering over the summer period.

Sterilize your tools with bleach or hot soapy water after using them. Fungus will spread by spores/

Hope that works.

Ianna

• cookie8
    17 years ago

I also heard cornmeal is used to treat ant problems.

• janetr
    17 years ago

Buying cornmeal at the grocery store will be expensive for the quantities you want. Check out places that supply animal feed to farmers. Sorry, I can't supply names for Mississauga.

Janet's Garden

• bonniepunch
    17 years ago

Corn meal is commonly believed to cure fungal infections on plants and people, but I have never come across anything like a proper study trying to prove or disprove it. All evidence is of the anecdotal 'grandma said it worked' sort. So - maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. As far as killing ants goes, that's another maybe yes, maybe no thing. The theory is that the ant eats the corn meal piece(es) and then drinks water, causing the corn meal to expand, and killing the ant. You can see that that would be a very hit and miss approach - if it works at all!

Corn gluten is something different - it does have some proven ability as a germination inhibitor on some seeds (not all though). It's not what you want to be spreading if you're going to re-seed in the fall.

What's more important, is what is the fungus and why do you have it? You need to correct the conditions that were allowing the fungus to thrive before you'll be able to win the battle. Things like too much moisture, thatch buildup and soil compaction will all be big contributors to fungus problems.

Areate your whole lawn. Rake up any thatch that might be accumulating. Spread a thin layer of compost over the whole lawn - this will revitilize what you have there now, and the grass will be healthier - and healthy grass won't have fungus problems. In the winter, don't dump snow on the lawn - this will contribute to the formation of one of the most common fungus problems, snow mold.

Reseeding should be done in the last week or two of August, or the first couple of weeks in September - you want the heat of summer to be past. To reseed the problem areas, you should probably remove the top couple of inches of soil - this may not be necessary if you know for sure what is allowing the fungus to thrive, and it is an easily correctable condition. In that case, the establishment of a healthy lawn will solve the problem. To reseed small areas like you describe, you should apply some topsoil, if you have removed existing soil, or add a layer of compost if you are not removing it. Rake the soil so that it has some texture to it. Use a mix of grass that has at least three types of seed in it, that encourages diversity, which means a healthier lawn. It would be a good idea to overseed your entire lawn with this mixture at the same time - otherwise the new grass will stand out like a sore thumb. Water well, and do not allow the area to dry out completely, but do not waterlog it either. Finally, mow high - at least two inches. Shorter grass is more stressed, leading to fungus problems, and it won't be able to outcompete weeds.

BP

• treemedic
    17 years ago

Kipling Feed (416-239-2024) is near 427 and Dundas. They sell all kinds of stuff. Ask for chick cracked corn or corn meal. It should be pretty cheep for a 50lb bag. When using corn meal as a lawn fertilizer/fungus inhibiter(may work - may not) you should be putting down at least 10lbs per 1000 sqft. It works great as an organic lawn fertilizer and some say it will help inhibit fungus. Hold off with seeding until late August, late summer early fall is ideal for seeding.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks