Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My zuccihinis are all man...Help!

Posted by LilacIsLove 5a (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 16, 11 at 8:23

So I have nice big zucchini plants with lots of flowers. The problem is, all the flowers are male! Even the ones developing don't have the tell-tale signs of being female, and I opened the flowers that have fallen off already, and they are male too! What is going on?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My zuccihinis are all man...Help!

The 2 types of flowers are easy to tell apart. The male flowers grow on a thin stem, while the female are attached to the back of a mini zucchini. Both have similar sized pale orange or yellow petals.

How many zucchini plants do you have? You need both a male and a female flower open at the same time in order for pollination to occur and for the plant to set fruit. If you have two or more plants, you have better odds.

I have 4 plants and have harvested 4 zukes in the past week, and there are eight more which will be ready in the coming days. I must admit, that I do kind of help the process along by hand pollinating the open female flowers in the morning by transferring some of the pollen from the male flowers to the centre of the female flower. But you don't have to do this, especially if you have a lot of bees around.

So be patient. It'll happen eventually, even if you have just one plant.

o

I have 3 plants, and I'm willing to hand pollinate, just in case. I need some female flowers first though! XD I hope some pop up soon.

o

If they are all male flowers, it would seem impossible to hand pollinate. You can harvest the flowers and stuff and fry them. very yummy

o

Maybe a dose of Epsom salts would help. One tablespoon at the base of each plant before a good watering. Or maybe a high-phosphorus or 'starter' fertilizer would boost bloom production therefore increasing the odds of female blooms.

o

The first flowers on zukes are always male flowers. In a week or so female flowers appear to produce the baby zukes unless your soil is poor or the plants haven't enough water. Sounds like your plants are healthy so I would suggest time will solve your problem.

o

You're right, thanks! That's exactly what happened. In fact, I'm making zucchini bread today! ;)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here