Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claubill

Weeds in bags

claubill
16 years ago

Every week, I've been putting two big bags of different weeds that I dug up from the garden, especially grass seeds. My husband says that it's a waste and that I should be dumping them in our compost. But my theory is that if I dump the weeds in the compost, especially grass seeds, that it will simply grow in the compost or lay dormant until the compost is ready to be distributed. Any thoughts? Am I being compulsive? I weed almost every day and almost always have bags of weeds for garbage day.

Comments (7)

• halaeva
    16 years ago

Hi.
    In my opinion your husband is right.
    The compost is ready to be distributed when is well rotten.During chemical reaction seeds will rot as well.
    This is my thought.
    Hala.

• ianna
    16 years ago

In theory, the compost heaps heat up enough to kill off these seeds and other known diseases. However in practise, it's another question. Do you allow your compost to thoroughly breakdown before using it?

Ianna

• Crafty Gardener
    16 years ago

I don't put my weeds into the composter. I do add them to a separate pile at the very back edge of the garden. I'm too stingy to pay to have them taken away. Now we are lucky and back onto open fields, so a pile of weeds etc back there isn't as bad as having it backing onto someone elses garden.

• gabriella_gurl
    16 years ago

Everyone seems to agree: a well cooked pile should cook the weeds too; however I will not compost any weed that has started to go to seed.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    16 years ago

I don't put weeds in the compost either, even though my compost reaches 140+F. Some weed seeds will not be killed by such high temperatures and I invest too much time taking them out of the gardens to just place them back in there.

Like Craftygardener, I have a separate pile on the property where I dump most of them and in a couple of years this may become a garden too. I did this in another area, let the pile rot, then mulched and planted. It worked quite well.

Our organics are picked up every second week on garbage day and brought to the city compost heap. That's where I send my really bad weeds... Their compost is brought to extreme temperature which will kill ANY seed.

• bonniepunch
    16 years ago

I get enough volunteer tomatoes and melons from my compost that I don't feel the need to add weed seeds to it too. My compost doesn't get that hot, so no seeds are killed. If I am sure that I have hauled the weed out before it has gone to seed then I will toss in in the regular compost bin, but if it's in the process of flowering then I put it into a into a separate container to dry out, compost, germinate or do whatever it wants. I fill that container with water over the winter and allow it to freeze solid. This makes a slimy nasty mess in the spring when I drain the water off, and I just dump it into the bottom of my big tomato pots and cover it up with soil. It seems to work as I never have weeds germinating in the tomatoes.

BP

• sharont
    16 years ago

This year I've decided to experiment with weeds (mostly quack or twitch grass roots). They've been put into large industrial black garbage bags and the four bags I've collected so far are going to 'burn up' next to my compost piles and containers. Hopefully because soil is also attached to weed roots and grass roots the breakdown will occur over the summer. I'll probably leave them all winter if I'm not pleased with decay and cooking process by October. They will be dumped into my open compost pile to finish off over winter and next spring. Hopefully there will be no sprouts of grass or weed seeds! And I'll be checking for live roots.
    So far I'm pleased with the decaying process and am looking foward to benefitting from those nasty roots and weeds that invade my gardens all too quickly! This is farm country and I've finally accepted that all gardens will be taken over by weeds and grasses even if I mulch, pick and hoe!
    I must admit I do pitch a few of the nasty weeds with seed heads into my pick up garbage. When we first moved to our rural property I thought I was doing a good deed by pulling up burdocks and carrrying them across the lawn to a burning barrel. The following year there was a trail of new burdock plants from the old patch to the burning barrel! So I now take a garbage bag with me when pulling up burdock in seed!