Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone ever hear of a plant called wort

Posted by liegia (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 18, 06 at 8:29

A few years ago a neighbor gave me a plant but no name, recently she tells me that it is named wort...just wort. I can't find any information on this plant at all. The flowers slightly resemble a pink fleeceflower. If anyone knows anything about a plant like this or any other names for it that would be great.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone ever hear of a plant called wort

I think your neighbor is probably not aware of the plant's full name. Wort is simply an old English way of saying 'plant'. If you google 'wort' plant, you will come up with several types of plants. Perhaps it's best to post a photo to get people to help identify it.

Ianna.

o

Here's a picture of the plant

Here is a link that might be useful: mystery plant

o

Butterworts are insect eating plants. It could be in this family.

Nancy

o

St John's wort?

o

• Posted by janetr Ottawa USDA 4a (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 24, 06 at 16:28

Possibly a spleenwort aka Asplenium. This is a fern and there are many species. Yours might be hart's tongue fern. Do a Google image search for Asplenium or spleenwort and you should be able to identify yours.

Janet's Garden

o

Thanks for the suggestions but I have figured out the name of my plant. It's called persicaria bistorta superba, or just bistort though the ornamental variety not the weed. It's also called a million other different names, two being dragonwort and adderwort, which is what my neighbor must have been grasping for when she told me it was called wort.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here