Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clematis or ? in a planter?

Posted by brenda5b 5b Ont (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 26, 09 at 9:36

Hi Everyone!
We have built a deck this year and my DH is going to build cedar planters and an arbor as the entrance/exit to steps to give it some 'character'...as opposed to a 'box' on the back of the house.
I would like to plant clematis or some kind of flowering vines in them. He is going to to line them with styrofoam and I would like some suggestions as to what would overwinter in a zone 5 garden under these conditions.
This is on the south side of the house and gets full sun.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Brenda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clematis or ? in a planter?

The trouble with perennials in planters is the freeze and thaw cycle which will kill plants. Making them big and lining them with styrofoam helps. On the south side there will be a lot of freeze and thaw, because the sun beats down in the day and then it freezes at night.

Clematis likes to have it's head in the sun and it's feet--or roots--shaded. If you want the look of the boxes, make them without bottoms and plant the Clematis in the ground and put some mulch around it. The box will shade the roots. The mulch will keep weeds out and you avoid the danger of freeze and thaw.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here