Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherwood_botsford

Online irrigation stores?

I've posted a similar message on the irrigation forum. But I figure I should ask here too:

Anyone have recommendations for online CANADIAN irrigation stores? I live near Edmonton, and my local irrigation stores look at me funny when I start asking about 6000 foot spools of drip tape, or pricing on a thousand drippers, or for technical specs on the correct height to mount an inverted micro spray head above a crop, and what pressure it needs to produce large drops that don't wander away with the breeze, and what is the best spacing to get good uniform coverage at that pressure.

I've talked to a bunch of irrigation stores, and they either don't return my calls, tell me they don't carry that kind of stuff, suggest I go to Home Depot.

Where do you go if you want a thousand drippers or a mile of pipe?

Comments (9)

• green_thumb_guy
    14 years ago

Have you checked out Lee Valley tools.

Not the cheapest place but might be a start.

Negotiate for a better price.

Here's a link that might help
    http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=1&cat=2,2280&p=49657

you might be able to order from the US at a reasonable price.

I know someone who did for some low volume drippers that are no longer sold here. I see Rainbird has a special on drip lines 250' etc. At least have a look.

Good luck

• ianna
    14 years ago

For the amount of irrigation material this guy needs, I would suggest checking farming, agricultural, greenhouse supplier stores. A search on the yellow pages for such businesses should help.

• Sherwood Botsford (z3, Alberta)
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lee Valley isn't bad. For small quantities they are quite reasonable, and they have other great garden stuff. LV is a better place for microirrigation than Home Depot or Rona.

I've tried the guys in the yellow pages. Here's the scoop:

Edmonton is a climate with cool summers, usually with some rain. Agriculturally it's dryland farming. (Wheat, barley, canola...) Most people water their lawns with a hose and sprinkler, as it usually only needs to be done every other week for about 2 months of the year. There is a small market for residential automatic irrigation.

Golf courses are the market for larger stuff. Mostly big sprinklers, not micro irrigation.

Very few people do drip irrigation on an aggricultural scale.

At this point I've discovered two dealers in southern Alberta, one in central BC and an online store based in Toronto.

When you buy remote, you often get a good price on the stuff, and then get hammered on the shipping. When you buy from the U.S. you get hammered by the exchange rate and the hassles of getting it across the border too.

My ideal is to find soemone I can buy stuff from locally even if htey order it in from a regular supplier. If it shares a truck with a bunch of other stuff, I don't get hammered as hard by the shipping.

Another ideal I have is to find people who know more than I do about setting this stuff up. One outfit lost all credibility with me when they tryied to convince me that 1/2 poly line would have no problem carrying 50 gallons per minute, and looked at me blankly when I started talking about head loss.

• ianna
    14 years ago

If irrigation supplies are not available in your area, why not look into BC. So I did some checking online and this www.irrigationbc.com came up. In their membership list are several companies that offer supplies such as http://www.irrigation.ca/. Perhaps you could try once more looking in Alberta. I'd start off by inquiring with nurseries and greenhouses that should know where to search these things.

Ianna

• green_thumb_guy
    14 years ago

since you are after a substantial quantity, I think you should contact Rainbird - if this will suit your purpose - and see if they will ship for free.

Here's a link for their Dripline clearance. I think with the exchange you will still be ahead.

http://store.rainbird.com/LandscapeDriplineClearance.htm

It's not a hassle getting stuff across the border.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

look for netafim drip products. Better and easier to work with than the homeowner grade.

Here is a link that might be useful: canadian irrigation

• garcanad
    9 years ago

Just came across this useful thread.
    I used to order drip irrigation parts from Northern Garden Supply in BC but their business had closed since last year.
    I have ordered non-drip irrigation parts from SprinklerDepot (http://www.sprinklerdepot.ca/shop/english/home.html) a few times and quite happy with them.

I found Irrigation Direct last year but have not order from them yet. I would have to this year. They are located very close to me.

• southerndrip
    9 years ago

Theres a good irrigation supply store in Lethbridge, Alberta. Just google irrigation Alberta. They also have online ordering. A little closer than Ontario.

• Sherwood Botsford (z3, Alberta)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've dealt with them too. They carry netafim stuff. Top of the line, and roughly twice the price. I'm cheap.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus