Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
clover and grass

Posted by keith13 south ontario (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 2, 12 at 9:58

Lawn is full of clover. Not just small patches but all over and thick. So thick I think there's grass somewhere in between. Anyway what is the best way to get rid of clover other than hire rabbits.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: clover and grass

I was thinking the same thing, or maybe small goats :) as I see it spread but a) it's better than crab grass b) at least it's short and c) I love the smell - really it's not so bad anyway here's a link back on this very topic.

Here is a link that might be useful: getting rid of clover in lawn

o

Until people started using broad leaf herbicides, clover was part of most lawn seed mixes. It stays green and adds nitrogen to the soil. Not to mention feeding the bees.

The move away from clover was marketing. The herbicides killed it; so tell people they don't want it.

o

I always throw white clover seeds on my lawn, and we have the greenest lawn on the block with very little maintenance (I don't water or fertilize, which is virtually unheard of here in Calgary). It's nice to walk barefoot on, and the bees like it too.

o

there are products available in the US that can tackle clovers only. However if you don't have plans to go to the US anytime soon, you could try to up the nitrogen content of your soil. Clovers grow where there is low nitrogen levels. Maybe you've been watering the yard too much?
causing leaching?

o

there are products available in the US that can tackle clovers only. However if you don't have plans to go to the US anytime soon, you could try to up the nitrogen content of your soil. Clovers grow where there is low nitrogen levels. Maybe you've been watering the yard too much?
causing leaching?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here