Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dianasan_gw

First Giant Hogweed now Wild Parsnip

dianasan
13 years ago

Last week, there was an alert in the Greater Montreal area to beware of toxic giant hogweed plants, one of which had been discovered growing near a playground. This week, it's wild parsely.

Both these plants have toxic sap which is extremely irritating if it comes into contact with skin and is then exposed to sunlight. It may even cause blindness if it gets near your eyes.

I guess we should all start to get familiar with and learn to avoid toxic weeds which will be showing up in greater numbers and in unexpected places as more and more cities place bans on herbicides.

Oldtimers were more acquainted with these dangerous plants and knew to steer clear. Because of my interest in horticulture and all the gardening and plant books I've read, I can recognize quite a few but obviously not all -- I'm still wary of any unfamiliar 3-leaved plant which may be poison ivy.

One weed I learned to recognize the hard way was stinging nettle, though I'm sure the irritation it causes was nothing compared to some other toxic weeds.

Comments (3)