Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did I plant too low??

Posted by cajun01 Edmonton (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 13, 06 at 11:10

When I planted all of my plants, they were pretty much flush with the ground. Now, I see that around them, the soil has settled about 1 inch. So in some places, the plants are 1 inch lower than the surface, and in other places, the original 'root ball' of the plant is level wtih the surface but there's a large area around that is lower than the surface. Is this going to cause a problem with spring freezing and rot?? Should I dig up all my plants and mound them?? Is it okay if they are flush with the surface or should they be higher than the surface of the soil??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did I plant too low??

You didn't describe your plants but let me allay your fears. The ground settled only by 1 inch. This is insignificant and shouldn't have a big impact on your plants. If you are concerned, simply remove the soil to the level you want, put barriers around the base of the plant to keep that extra soil from returning.

Shrubs & trees can be suceptible to rot at their base if planted TOO DEEP and the base portion of their trunks lies below ground. This allows bacteria, fungus and other pests to enter the trunk and affect the plants. Roses for example shouldn't be planted too deep.

As for other types of perennials like say echinacea, daylilies or basically the types that die back to the ground every winter. - Don't worry. This won't affect it. In fact, with winter coming, the problem would be that these new plants can get pushed outwards by the freezing and thawing process.

So, if you still feel troubled about the depth and still want to replant your plants - be aware that it's summer now and so wait until the plants go dormant in the fall before you do any transplants.

Last, I've described the approach to perennials. As for annuals, they are mostly shallow rooted and of course will die in winter. Annuals cover a wide range. Some can handle deeper soil coverage but some like balsam would probably rot if planted too deep. In this case, remove the extra soil, don't do any transplants as this will surely feel the heat of summer.

Ianna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here