Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gooseneck loosestrife

Posted by antjenny 7 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 24, 12 at 11:18

I have a newly rooted plant cutting. It is currently in a plastic pot. Is it best to leave as is until spring? At that time plant in ground? I do not know the best way to care for my plant. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gooseneck loosestrife

It's extremely hard to kill and in many areas is considered an invasive plant, though it is lovely in bloom. I would plant it in a large bucket with drainage holes in the garden and keep an eye on it to be sure it does not overstep its bounds. Most plants are better in the ground than in a pot, but in this case, it does depend on how well-rooted a piece you have.

o

Agree with ninamarie, better to put it into the ground soon and let it establish before winter than not. A lot of underground "runners" grow now, while little changes on the top during this time of the year. Mine survives some heavy shade at a base of a large tree, but is not overly aggressive (perhaps because of this shade) Its tough, but keep watered for a few days after planting and you should have a bit of growth and much better spring.

o

Take heed to ninamarie's advice: PLANT IN POT. This one takes off and keeps running..unless you have lots of space. I had a beauty and really loved the gorgeous flowers, but it took over aggressively.

o

My response is way outdated....but may help another gooseneck loosestrife lover.

o

My response is way outdated....but may help another gooseneck loosestrife lover.

o

I had thought I had eradicated this plant from the garden at least five years ago, but probably even longer than that. But it has made a comeback this spring - and in force. Appeared as if from nowhere and a sizeable clump at that.

o

I loved flowers on mine but when I saw how it spreads, got rid of it. Every time I see it elsewhere I wonder if people know what they got. I have a male Kiwi vine, once I also planted hops, that is out. Kiwi I keep in check, flowers and foliage on it are lovely but you have to control it. Virginia creeper (no wonder it's called a creeper) took off, climbing everywhere, got rid of that too. Honeysuckle is not much better, love the smell but it grows like crazy.

o

Love the plant and the way it looks.....once you understand how it spreads, it is easy to take a spade in the spring and dig it back, thus containing it....

Ian

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here