Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandee5925

What is this plant?

sandee
16 years ago

I was visiting in Drummondsville last year and went to visit an old village there. While I was there, I saw these beautiful plants outside of the buildings and can't forget them. I have no idea what they are, but would love to find out.

They were very tall and had extremely broad leaves on them (about 1 1/2 to 2 ft across). They had some flower clusters between the leaf divisions and the "trunk" and there were some of different colors, some green and some more a reddish in color.

I have something in my yard that looks very similar, but mine was supposedly a Pawlonia Tree (sp). However, unlike a tree, mine sheds all of it's leaves in the fall, and then begins all over again from the ground up every spring.

If anyone is familiar with the plant I am speaking of, please shed some light on this for me. I would be very appreciative.

Comments (6)

• halaeva
    16 years ago

Hi Sandeef;
    I have something similar to plant you describe.Mine is 'Castor Been Plant' (Ricinus communis).If you are not familiar with this one,search Google for images.I only know one plant with huge leaves,sorry if it is not helpful.
    Hala.

• ianna
    16 years ago

Hollyhocks? Sorry please describe if it's a perennial, a shrub or an annual.

Halaeva - hope you take care not to have small children around the castor bean plant. All parts of this plants is highly poisonous.

Ianna

• sandee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you so much, that is the plant I saw while visiting, however, it does not appear to be the one I am growing as my plants leaves have only three sections, like an oak. The leaves are very "fuzzy" too.

When I bought this it was called Pawlonia Tree and they said it would grow rooftop high in one year. That the leaves would turn color in the fall and fall off (which they do) but it was supposed to be about 50 ft high at maturity with deep purple "lilac like" flowers on it in the springtime. Well, it dies off each fall, and grows back in the spring, it has reached about 13 ft in the last 3 years and has never flowered. I left the "trunk" from last year, but this year it has grown up around the trunk with no new growth on the trunk. It is a very strange thing, as you must imagine by now.

• halaeva
    16 years ago

Thanks ianna
    Hala.

• ianna
    16 years ago

There's only one way to determine if what you've seen is a tree or if it's a biennial called hollyhock. Here's link to an example of a hollyhock. Hollyhocks come in different colours from white, pinks to deep purple. The leaves are fuzzy and some look almost maple like and some look heart shaped.

http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Malvaceae/Alcea_rosea.html

I've no experienced with Paulina trees but I understand they are borderline US zone 5 plants which is in our area a Can zone 6 plant. So if you have it in this area perhaps it's not producing blooms becuase it requires a longer warm season. But then again I have no experience with this tree. Sounds very facinating though.

Ianna

• jaro_in_montreal
    16 years ago

I have noticed in the last few years that 'Castor Been Plant' has become very popular in public places in the Montreal area -- last summer, there were huge ones growing in the flower beds at the belvedere on top of Mount Royal (overlooking downtown Montreal), and more of them on McGill College street, between Place Ville Marie and the Roddick Gates (to McGill University, on Sherbrooke Street).

I haven't seen as many this year.
    I guess that the public works department likes to alternate plant types from year to year -- or maybe someone complained that they were planting highly toxic plants in public places....

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor