Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
diane_v_44

Montreal Botanical Gardens

diane_v_44
17 years ago

I was looking at an earlier posting and some gorgeous photos from the botanical gardens

I am planning a drive to the gardens, early August.

I especially love to see the Dahlia plants.

Has anyone been there recently. Are there blooms on the Dahlias.

I am coming from Alliston Ontario, so it is a bit of a drive. We make it into a one or two night holiday.

I have never, though, looked at any other gardens or garden centres on the drive to an fro, of any particular note.

Any suggestions?

Or are there any garden tours on in the next couple of weeks. Would be terrific to see other gardens.

Thanks

Comments (13)

• bonniepunch
    17 years ago

I haven't been in the last couple of weeks - last weekend it was too hot and before that DH was away(I hate going by myself). If it's nice this weekend, I'll drag DH out and I'll take note of what the Dahlias are doing.

I don't know if it's any good (haven't been yet), but there's this new thing here, the International Flora show on at the old port.

BP

• diane_v_44
    Original Author
    17 years ago

BP
    Thanks, that would be terrific.

The site of Flora ia where Les Mosaicultures was held. I did attend that show and it was worth a look.
    The web site for Flora is interesting enough.
    Maybe will have a look at it.
    Most interested to hear what you have to say about the Dahlias.

Diane

• onewheeler
    17 years ago

Diane, I don't get here on this forum very often, I can't even comment on your question. I just noted that you are from Alliston. I lived in Camp Borden back in 1969-74. My daughter was born in Alliston and I got my driver's liscene there. LOL Have never been back. I live in Nova Scotia.

Valerie

• bonniepunch
    17 years ago

Well, we didn't get to the gardens this weekend :-(. Saturday, we were heading out the door, ready to lock up, and it started to pain. Bugger. Sunday we had company, so no go then either.

I might go during the week, all by myself, just because I need my fix!

BP

• janetr
    17 years ago

Bonnie, if you can wait till next week or so, I'll see if I can bus down and go with you. I've got visitors this week...

Janet's Garden

• bonniepunch
    17 years ago

I don't think I'll be going this week after all - the weather forecast is calling for rain all week. What is it with all the rain we've been getting!?! I probably missed the Cardiocrinums :-(

My in-laws are visiting next week, and my mum-in-law is a garden fanatic too, so we might be going - if the weather co-operates...

Janet - I think the bus from Ottawa is the better part of $100 for a round trip ticket (not sure though - I haven't taken it for a few years)! If you were planning on coming down anyway, and want to try for after my in-laws leave, I'm game. The gardens are so big that you can't see it all in any one visit, and things that you saw last week look quite different this week... I can never get enough of it :-)

BP

• diane_v_44
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I do hope you ladies will be able to see the Montreal Botnical Gardens.

Janet, does Ottawa have a Botnical garden
    There is a garden get together of some sort, in Ottawa for Canadian Gardeners. I forget the date or what it is called, but it was mentioned at the horticultural club here at the June meeting.

This weekend I am going to the Hamilton Botanical Gardens and then down to the Niagra Parks gardens. I have not been to either this year.
    The Hamilton Botanical Gardens need more funding. Unfortunately because of unions, volunteers are not able to help with the work.
    My daughter has been after me to do a blog(g) Yours is good Janet. Seems it would take quite a bit of time. I have a digital camera that I was given by one of my four children (grown) but I never use it.
    Love the photos you have on yours

Thanks ladies for your interest in going to the gardens.

• bonniepunch
    17 years ago

I finally got to the gardens last Tuesday - gads it was hot! We almost melted!!!

Anyhow, there were some Dahlias blooming, but I didn't see the big dinner plate ones. I don't know if they didn't have them this year or if I missed them. There were a lot of areas we didn't get to because it was too hot to stay all day, they might have been in one of those spots.

BP

• janetr
    17 years ago

Bonnie, sorry, I got sidetracked and forgot to come in here. I don't think the bus is quite that bad, but when I stopped to think about it, I realized that I'd have to find someone from here who wanted to go to keep it a reasonable price. If I do, I'll let you know and maybe we can make a threesome.

Diane, we do have the Experimental Farm, but it's not quite the same thing... Thanks for the kind words for the blog. If you post regularly, it can get to be quite a bit of work, but there's no law that says you have to post every day. I've been having visitors, which is slowing me down. I'm just waiting for a phone call from a son who should be arriving for the weekend, so won't get much done the next couple of days. He takes priority.

• diane_v_44
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Bonnie

Thanks for your info re the gardens

There surely has been some very hot wheather.
    Not just now. Gorgeous days aren't they
    Flowers and vegetables are growing, and growing.

Janet, keep up the good work blogging.
    Family visits are fabulous but I do find a short visit best.

• bonniepunch
    17 years ago

Janet - If you do manage to make it down with a friend, it's no problem with me! The more the merrier :-)

diane-v - here's a schedule of what's blooming when (calendar of blooms).

BP

• diane_v_44
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Bonniepunch.
    Haven't got there yet

How is your garden?
    Diane

• bonniepunch
    17 years ago

My garden is looking a little junglish these days :-). I don't impose much order on it, except to tie things up, and this is the time of year when things have reached their full size. I have a couple of dozen Cannas towering some eight feet high, and overgrown tomatoes, tomatillos, and ferns all crowding the 'Worlds Smallest Garden'!

BP