Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ritug_gw

How is your Rose of Sharon doing now - Part 2?

RG100
16 years ago

The first thread on ROS had many people complaining about the lateness of this tree/shrub. I wanted to provide a quick update that of the two ROS that I planted last year, one is fully green and the second one is starting to leaf ouit but from the base of its trunk. The branches are still bare!

Is there any hope left for this one? Should I wait? Is anyone experiencing similar problems?

Thanks

Comments (14)

• frogged
    16 years ago

Hello, (assuming that ROS is the Same as hardy hibiscus I think someone told me this was so. IF not SORRY and please ignore me)
    Mine is red and the last two years has gotten to be around 6 feet or so tall with huge red blooms. I was wondering this year if was going to make an apperarance and finaly a couple of weeks ago I noticed the first bit of green comming from the old stems. Now they are about 4 inches and growing. It was in Aug last year that I got the flowers so I guess things are growing as they should.

• sunny_megs
    16 years ago

I only got mine last year, si it is pretty much the same size as when I got it, but it is full of leaves right now. I have not seen any buds on it so far.

• enjoy
    16 years ago

I have 2. One is a shrub and one is a standard. The standard is usually very late but this year I have leaves and yesterday I saw many buds forming. I was told it was "red" but I would not describe the flowers as red but a very deep pink-purple.
    The shrub struggled badly this year and is one year older than the standard. It is the "aphrodite" and I have lost about 50% of the branches but it is leafing out just fine now. Both get about the same amount of light and winter wind exposure.
    Joy

• jroot
    16 years ago

. leafed out well
    . covered with buds
    . looks really healthy.

By the way ROS is not the same as the hardy hibiscus.
    . My hardy hibiscus has come up well again, but has no buds on it yet.

• halaeva
    16 years ago

Hi.
    I had a similar dilema 1 month ago,when my ROS 'Hamabo'(what is your cultivar-may i ask?)grew leaves from it's base up to about 10 inches.I cut off everything from the base leaving only one on the top.I also cut back the stem with branches down to the top leaf,they were dead.Today i have about 2'tall ROS.It grows fast now.I hope your ROS is doing better by now.
    Hala.

• RG100
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Hala
    Mine is a tree form....It is called Ardens (Althea)....double purple flowers. I ma having same problem now, leaves growing at the base..the nursery told me to retuen it as they say it is growing back to a shrub form whereas I had bot a tree form. Did you cut off the trunk too? was yours a tree form?

• halaeva
    16 years ago

Hi ritug;
    Thanks for your prompt reply.
    Mine was a tree- form apx:4.5'tall.Yes i did cut the trunk down to the level of the last leaf is grown ( counting from a ground level).It looks that mine was also growing back to a shrub- form.It will not flower this year for sure.I hope your beautiful(yes,Ardens is absolutely beautiful) will grow nicely.
    Hala.

• wmc1
    16 years ago

Mine are starting to flower now.

• halaeva
    16 years ago

Hi My ROS-Blue Satin which i puchased in Spring has a lot of pea size buds. This is it's first year in the ground,so it is far away from flowering.

Congratulation wmc1.What cultivar it is-may i ask?
    Hala

• wmc1
    16 years ago

The purple and red Lucy are flowering

• halaeva
    16 years ago

Thank you wmc1.
    syriacus 'Lucy' is beautiful, always wanted to purchase it, but had a problem to order it without knowing it's name
    I already placed my order and i will have my 4'-5'tall 'Lucy' in apx.10 days. I am so excited!
    Hala.

• mastiff
    16 years ago

I thought mine was dead..I got it for mothers day and when no leaves grew I thought it was a goner.
    Then i noticed something growing at the base. Mine is a Blue Marlin and I think it was a shrub anyway so if it grows I will be really happy.
    Do I cut back the rest of the shrub. It's about three feet tall and STILL in the pot cause I presumed it was dead.

• halaeva
    16 years ago

Hi.
    I was pretty happy with my ROS 'Blue Satin' which i purchased this year,until now,when two of buds are open a little and show the colour.It is not blue!!! and any shade of blue,it's brownish pink,or pale burgundy.I wanted blue ROS very much.Does anyone grows Blue Satin? What colour in buds your ROS 'Blue Satin'shows? Please,be patient with me and reply.Thanks in advance-
    Hala.