Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_rockland

Hibiscus or Rose of Sharon Lavender Chiffon

mary_rockland
16 years ago

Hi,

Anyone successfully overwinter Hibiscus Syriacus Lavender Chiffon in our Canadian zone 5? I see it in the garden centres a zone 5, but am sceptical.

Mary

Comments (8)

• ianna
    16 years ago

I've checked a couple of websites and all refer to a USDA zone 5 - one even saying it's a USDA zone 6. Our Can zone 5 is equivalent to a USDA zone 4. It can stand temps up to -23.3° C (-10° F) so I'd say skip the plant unless you'd like to go zonal denial and experiment with it. We've lately have had warmer winters but it only takes one severe cold night to kill off any borderline plants.

Ianna

• mary_rockland
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for your research.

I must admit that the one I saw actually had zone 5 written on it. Funny how they don't specify Canadian zone 5 or USDA, especially when so much stock sold here is shipped up from the states. Makes you wonder why they would bother to stock something like that at my local Canadian Tire, and Loblaws. I guess they haven't figured out the zone thing themselves.

On the experimental side I have actually overwintered a Hibiscus Syriacus Blue Bird for about 10 years, but then one year at the height of 7 feet tall she died. I'm sure Blue Bird is a Canadian zone 6, possibly 7. Although I'm trying babies from the Blue Bird only one has overwintered two winters (so far) and so that is why I'm looking for a hibiscus that is more hardy in a purple, but with that kind of height. So, Lavender Chiffon likely isn't any more hardy than Blue Bird. I'll have to see how lucky I feel when I see it marked down.

Mary

• taylormd_ns_aliantzinc_ca
    12 years ago

My sister purchased a Lavender Chiffon Rose of Sharon last fall and overwintered it in the pot in a non insulated shed. It has not budded out yet so I am thinking it has died. Some literature says Rose of Sharon does not bud out until quite late in the season so I am not sure if I am jumping the gun saying it is dead or should I be more patient. Can anyone advise. We live in Nova Scotia, zone 4b

• mary_rockland
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi,

You may want to be patient a few more weeks. My mature "Blue Bird" one that I was successful with budded out very late. I'd scratch the bark gently to see if you see any green. If you don't see any green under the bark even close to the bottom you likely have a dead plant. It may come back from the roots though, but that's not usually what we hope for.

I've overwintered a couple of "blue satin" outside in the ground that I purchased last year. They were only about a foot high at the end of the season and the new growth came from about 6 inches off the ground. So, again they are about a foot high now.

Again I was at my local Wal-mart and found lots of healthy rose of sharon on sale - varieties like Lucy, Woodbridge and Jeanne d-arc, but a little work at home on the computer puts these all at zone 6 too. So frustrating to tempt us like that with darlings that hardly have a chance.

Mary

• signet_gw(6b)
    12 years ago

I am not surprised that nurseries sell plants not successfully overwintered in our zone . How do they make money????? .....selling stuff to people who are either not aware of zone needs for a plant or people who have lots of money and dont care. A convenient built in obsolescence in the plant world. A big nursery in Sarnia for example brought in 2 gunnera plants ....when I went to pick up I asked about zone requirements of the plant . It needed zone 8 US zone ......do you really think it will live in a zone 5 ......not a chance but they were quite willing to hit me up for about 30 bucks a pop. Needless to say I asked the seller ..they looked a little chagrined when I told them thanks but no thanks .....I am not an idiot or a millionaire and unfortunately they are no different than lots of other nurseries.

Signet

• ljpother
    12 years ago

My father has an established rose of sharon in Burlington Ontario. It is zone 5b. The plant reseeds. I'm trying to keep some of the seedlings alive in zone 3b.

• diane_v_44
    12 years ago

I looked up the name, lavender chiffon and seems it is what I have growing in Barrie Ontario Which is for sure not more than zone 5
    I have a hedge of them growing and the plants are four years old
    A variety of colours and they grow against a wooden fence and along one side of my driveway.
    Not much space for them, poor soil, I don't do a think with them but did put some well rotted manure on the individual plants in late spring.
    they are so gorgeous coming now, almost to the top of the fence. Which is what I wanted Something to cover the fence

For sure early spring one thinks they have died. Just wait and they seem to come along
    Well here it is first week in August and mine in full bloom and will bloom probably until frost.
    I as well have lots of seedlings and have planted some in pots to give to family so as they might as well enjoy the beautiful easy plant.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting