Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eggplant

Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 30, 12 at 13:24

I have never grown these before. I've always considered them to be a pest magnet. Lately I've been considering trying them so I looked them up in the catalogue. Does anyone grow Rosa Bianca? Do they like growing where its hot? Any tips? Marg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eggplant

I can tell you they are easy to grow. Related to the tomato. Also very good to eat.

o

Having a great year with my eggplant. I'm growing Vitttoria Long Italian from the OSC catalogue. Very prolific. And no problems with pests.

Chop and marinate for 5 mins in 1/4 cup each of honey and soya sauce with some garlic and chilli flakes. Saut� for 5 minutes and eat over rice.

o

• Posted by marric Z5a Ontario (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 2, 12 at 10:31

Thanks for the info.

o

Marric,

I'm growing eggplants here in Saskatchewan. One of them is Rosa Bianca, although this is the first time I'm growing this particular variety. It's not as productive as the hybrid Japanese/Indian eggplants, but it is fruiting right now.

They love, love, love heat, but you shouldn't have problems in Southern Ontario. Your summer days and nights are MUCH hotter than ours by far, and you have longer summers as well. Around here, summer begins June 30 and ends on August 10. Well, it often feels that way :)

The main pests are flea beetles and colorado potato beetles. Just avoid planting them near brassicas or potatoes.

I start them April 10th and transplant outside June 10th. You can probably do it 10 days earlier.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here