Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The elusive Persian Shield (Strobilantes dyeranius)

Posted by aftermidnight Z8 V. Island B.C. (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 2, 12 at 13:51

I've been looking for this plant forever, anyone know of an online source where I might buy one or anyone growing it and willing to share a cutting or two?

Annette

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The elusive Persian Shield (Strobilantes dyeranius)

Oh well it was worth a try :).

o

I have been looking also and no luck! Why is it so difficult to find here in Canada? I have seen pics on other sites of this plant in people's gardens, but always in the States. :-(

o

Frustrating isn't it, a couple of weeks ago I checked out a little garden center not far from me and wouldn't you know, they usually carry it but this year they couldn't find anyone growing it. Hopefully next year they'll be able to get it, fingers crossed.

Annette

o

• Posted by signet z6 S.W. Ont (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 22, 12 at 17:18

I found it after the plant swap last year at Lowe's I believe. It didnt overwinter though so cant share a cutting , sorry . I would check at your local Lowe's and see if you can find it there .

Signet

o

Found it... I was over on the mainland on Monday at my favorite succulent nursery and they had Persian Shield on for half price, needless to say I bought more than one, took cuttings this morning and will take more later on, some should make it through the winter, fingers crossed.

Annette

o

Good for you, Annette! :-) I wish you great success with your new plant.
Sure is a mystery to me why it isn't more widely available.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here