Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Evergreens planted too close together

Posted by Daisy199 3 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 14:05

Hi there!!!! I am a new home owner and new to gardening and landscaping so any and all feedback is greatly appreciated!!

The house I bought has a huge mature yard, however there is a row of evergreen trees across the front yard that I believe have been planted too close together. The other trees int he front of the yard have a hard time growing and look pretty weak so I'm wondering if it would be from these trees hogging everything??

I am wondering what I should do with these because they don't look real healthy and are starting to kill each other.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Evergreens planted too close together

They are close, but looks like the previous owner planted them as a wind break maybe....
You could thin them out by cutting down the worse looking ones, but I would check to see if the ones left standing don't have bare spots or sides where the other one shaded their foliage.....

o

There will be some gaps left in the ones that don't get cut down. I'm assuming they won't fill in again?? It was suppose to be a hedge and looked good 15 years ago apparently but no one has looked after it and they were planted a foot appart.

o

Yes, new growth will not regenerate on the old growth and you will have dead areas.....the decision is up to you on how many to remove, to improve the look of your property....

This post was edited by ians_gardener on Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 22:43

o

The tree by the driveway looks awfully deprived of nutrients and water. In forest, the unhealthy trees eventually die out giving room to the healthier trees to take over the space. In our yards, I would suppose it's time to thin out the unhealthy trees. The only way is to chop them down to the roots and grind out the stump. It's roots would eventually die off. Don't dig them out as it would harm the remaining trees. The only way you'd be able to retain the privacy is to consider planting some more screening plants planted in a second row.

o

HI Daisy,

Before doing anything I think I would consult with an arborist. You may have other options, like pruning and fertilization, instead of straight removal. If anything you will get some sound advice.

SCG

o

• Posted by xcaret Calgary Alberta (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 15, 13 at 18:57

I had a problem with a spuce tree that was acting as a privacy sceen, but died.. I planted a hop vine at the base and it grew all over the tree, only thing is I should have choosen a vine that doesn't have to grow from the ground up each year.. Some vines have stalks that come back to life . My hop stems stay dead , but do act as a great refuge for birds.. I don't remove the dead stalks. The tree is now giving way more privacy as it's covered in hops..Not quite as good in winter time..

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here