Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Foxglove

Posted by withjoy2u 5b (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 2, 13 at 14:08

I have always admired foxglove but never had it in my garden. This year I decided to try some plants in my shady beds. I really like it. Can anyone give me tips on how to get it to come back next year? Do I plant more seeds now? Wait for it to re-seed? Buy more plants next year and view them as annuals?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Foxglove

Foxgloves are very good at seeding themselves if you leave the old flower stalks. In fall, you can hear the seeds rattling about when you shake the dry stalks.
Alternatively, you could plant the perennial foxgloves which takes some of the emphasis away from have to re-seed.

o

I bought a foxglove plant last year. I know it doesn't flower the first year but should it be flowering by now?

o

Be patient.....they should bloom soon....

o

These are biennials although they do last beyond 2 years. They are supposed to flower in the second year and die off by the third season but they are known to live a bit longer. You can have a succession of blooms if you plant seeds every year so once one plant dies off, another is growing and another will flower.

Now foxgloves are the souce of the drug digitalis.. Pretty but also poisonous. Just be aware of this.

o

Digitalis grandiflora and D. luteus are two examples of perennial foxgloves. They are both pale yellow, but grandiflora has larger flowers than luteus. They come back reliably year after year, and are true perennials. The commonly grown, cottage garden foxgloves are biennials. Allowing them to self-seed in the garden is usually all that is needed, so don't cut the flower heads off.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here