Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calgarygal

Why are some leaves on Maple tree turning yellow in July?

calgarygal
13 years ago

Hello,

Newbie here.

I have a Manitoba Maple tree in my backyard. It's grown wonderfully over the past few years. Last summer I was surprised to see that a few (then a lot) of leaves were turning yellow/orange (like you'd see in the Fall) and well before they should have changed color (as they would in Fall), almost the entire tree's leaves had done this. I (perhaps wrongly) attributed this to weird weather last year, I believe we had a lot of frost and some late snow storms in spring and I thought that maybe the crazy weather had impacted the tree (confused it)?

Well now this year, I can see as the weeks pass, the odd yellow leaf and a few more than 2 weeks ago. This is a beautiful tree and it was planted to provide some privacy from my obtrusive neighbors behind me. What is causing this to the leaves, does anyone know? I tried to search online for info, found very little except one site mentioned that issues with "iron" in the soil (either too much or too little) can cause this but I wasn't able to find out the solution.

This tree is about 12 tall (at its highest point). It means a lot to me as it originates from my grandparents farm so has some sentimental value as well.

Would appreciate any insight you may have. I live just outside of Calgary, AB (think we're zone 3?).

Thanks

Michelle.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH