Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ethancote

Where are the great garden centers in Toronto?

ethancote
18 years ago

Hi all,

I will be visiting Toronto on July 23-28 and I was wondering if those living in Toronto can kindly point me to all the great garden centers (name of place, address and phone number would be greatly appreciated).

And if any of those places are or will be having sale around that time.

I am hoping to pick up some plants before heading back to Montreal.

Thanks for the help.

Cheers,

Chi.

Comments (11)

• pam_whitbyon
    18 years ago

Ethan, if you're driving, you could try one of my favourites on the way home. 20 minutes east of Toronto, it's on the border of Ajax and Whitby, and very close to the 401:

Vandermeer Nursery
    (905) 427-2525
    588 Lakeridge Road North,
    Ajax, ON L1Z 1X3

Closest 401 exit I think would be Brock Street in Whitby (not Brock Road in Pickering). The staff at this place are not bad at all. :)

Second favourite if you're in this area, is slighty more expensive but HUGE place - Sheridan/Cullen Garden Centre at Taunton Road and Brock Street. I don't have the exact address at hand but let me know if you want it. It's in north Whitby probably 15 mins from the 401.

• ianna
    18 years ago

Sheridan has my vote and there is one smaller centre located along Yonge and just below Lawrence Ave. There's one also located in Unionville, just outside of Toronto, along Highway 7.

There's Humber Nurseries in Mississauga.

What exactly are you hoping to get and perhaps we can advise you on where to search.

There are several garden centres aside from Sheridan and so we'd like to help in narrowing it down for you.

• ethancote
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks you two for the quick reply.

I am looking to pick up the followings perennials:
    - a rhododrendon (for partial shade), weiga, or some other flowering shrubs
    - lilium
    - helleboros, bleeding hearts
    - any plants great for shade

Perhaps others as well but those are the main stuffs I am hoping to buy. I would most likely only shop within the Greater Toronto area.

Thanks again for the help.

Cheers,

Chi.

• Atahualpa
    18 years ago

Humber Nurseries (they have a webpage with phone numbers etc.) has an incredible selection of plants, the best in the GTA, and particularly bushes including rhodos. They are located at the northern end of hwy 427 at hwy 7 -- then go one block west to hwy 50 and south (left) one 1/2 block.

Hancock woodlands (check web for their site as they are very hard to find) has hundreds of very hard to find rhodos but that is all. They are also very expensive. If you were looking for a spefic type of rhodo, wanted a larger size or were coming back in the spring and could drive through their lot and admire the blooms, I would recomend them.

Otherwise Sheridan is good -- the biggest and best stocked sheridan is on Southdown road in Missasagua (go south on Erin Mills to Lakeshore where it changes into Southdown and then one more half block south).

The only other place I would recomend is in Milton and is a bit far (but still what I would term the GTA). Country Squires Gardens open 7 days a week until 5:00 on Derry Road just past Guelph Line. They claim to have the world's largest selection of winter hardy perrenials and they may be correct but they don't put all of it out all the time. They have many hard to find plants that now take pride of place in my garden, including Japanese Arisaema, Falkland Island Lady's Slippers etc.

• ianna
    18 years ago

Well, if it is exclusively in Toronto, then Sheridan Nurseries on Yonge and near Lawrence. Hard to park though. Now they (this location only) don't keep plants there year round - unlike Humber Nurseries. Other place is Fiesta Gardens on Christie Phone: (416) 580-9060. Call ahead to make sure they carry your choices.

Humber is in Mississauga - so its west of Toronto & perhaps outside of your visiting areas. East of Toronto, there's Woodland Nurseries which I think is on Steeles (do a search for their phone and location. Nice place - something like Sheridan but doesn't carry as much plant varieties. There's also Tree Valley on Bayview and McKenzie which is just at outside of Toronto, north east location. (Could fall in your route home to Montreal). Another Woodland Nurseries is located further below that garden centre.

• ethancote
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks guys for the heads up. I will definitely stop by one or two of these place if not more during my visit to Toronto.

Cheers,

Chi.

• highsprucefarms
    14 years ago

I work for a great tree nursery, all home grown. High Spruce Farms. Check out our website www.highsprucefarms.ca
    We have a sale on ash trees right now. We are located on Davis Drive in Uxbridge.

Cheers

Here is a link that might be useful: High Spruce Farms

• diane_v_44
    14 years ago

I never think that Toronto has such terrific garden centres for the better stuff

Yes Humber is good, but not really Toronto

Another that is good but as well not in Toronto is Marjory Mason Hogue gardens out by Uxbridge

Marjorie and her son Jeff have some more unique and quality plants

Don't know why there are not more good garden centres in the huge city of Toronto

• ontnative
    14 years ago

I too have purchased some excellent and sometimes unusual plants from Mason Hogue Gardens. I wish they still did mail order, and also that they updated their web site. That being said, the plants are excellent and Marjorie is very knowledgeable.

• diane_v_44
    14 years ago

I did not realize Mason Houge Gardens do not have mail order any longer

But I am only about an hour away and enjoy making the trip over there

Richters herbs is not to far from Marjories place. I usually stop in there as well.

• lar_gar_soodonims_com
    12 years ago

Bill's Garden Centre on Pape Ave. north of the Danforth.

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals