Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cimicifuga 'brunette'

Posted by allandale 3b (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 5, 10 at 15:48

Hoping someone can answer a question about this bugbane plant. It had 2 false starts this year...both times newly emerged growth got knocked back completely by harsh cold snaps, the last one in early June. I haven't seen any new growth emerge in almost a month. What's the likelihood that the whole plant is dead? Is it possible that it's just given up trying this year and may come back next year? I don't know enough about how plant roots might be affected, if at all, by premature foliage dieback and any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cimicifuga 'brunette'

Empty out the pot and look for the white root with tip about to sprout up again. If not sure put repotted root and soil in a protected spot for the rest of summer and check again in September. I just came across this last week when emptying out pots with no green growth! One had what looked like a viable root!

o

• Posted by xaroline zone 3 Calgary Canad (My Page) on
    Wed, Jul 7, 10 at 12:49

I have had this plant for about 4 years now and most years it came up
later. This year it has not sprouted at all. I am leaving it in the ground in hopes
that it might sprout through really late.

o

Thanks so much for the advice. I guess I'm not the only Calgary gardener experiencing the results of that horrible June weather we had. The plant is in the ground so I think I'll leave it undisturbed for now and give it another chance. Here's hoping all those other "dead" things will eventually sprout as well!

o

The roots store food for the plant over winter. In spring the plant starts to grow by using up this food reserve. It will not make more food until the new leaves are almost fully developed. If the new growth is frozzen off, the plant needs to start again, but this time it has less stored food.

You can guess what happens. At some point it runs out of food and is dead.

I would not disturb the plant. This will only remove more roots and make the situation worse.

Leave it alone - but my guess is that it is gone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here