Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jroot_gw

Summer flowers are very rewarding this summer so far

jroot
15 years ago

The rainfall as been good for the flowers so far this summer. Here are a few shots from outside my back door mostly taken this morning.

{{gwi:535185}}

{{gwi:535186}}

{{gwi:535188}}

{{gwi:535190}}

{{gwi:535193}}

{{gwi:535194}}

{{gwi:531745}}

{{gwi:531746}}

{{gwi:531747}}

{{gwi:531748}}

{{gwi:531750}}

{{gwi:531752}}

{{gwi:531754}}

{{gwi:131922}}

{{gwi:131921}}

Comments (30)

• triple_b
    15 years ago

Yes I grew a cutting garden this year (still waiting on the dahlias but they do have buds). I left it alone for a couple days because of a heatwave and didn't feel like venturing up there. Yesterday I went up to water and POW things popping out all over. It is amazing what can happen over two days sometimes! I use a film camera for my good pictures (our digital is a cheapo). So the pics I took are stil in the camera. Will post when I get them.
    I Love Love Love your photos!

• greylady_gardener
    15 years ago

Really love your pics.....especially like the planter in the last one. :)
    gg

• glaswegian
    15 years ago

Sunflowers over 6ft tall already

{{gwi:535371}}

Elephant ears

{{gwi:535372}}

Cannas and clematis

{{gwi:535373}}

{{gwi:535374}}

salvia

{{gwi:535375}}

clematis on ginkgo tree

{{gwi:535376}}

• diane_v_44
    15 years ago

How have you managed to have Dahlia's blooming already

That is some gardening feat

How about the Brugmansia. Lets have a photo to see the size of your Brugs at this time

Garden looks good photography very good

• jroot
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Diane,

I start mine indoors under lights in April, getting them acclimatized in May, and planted in early June / late May. That is my secret for early blooms. Oh, and I fertilize once a week when I am also fertilizing the brugmansia.

The brugs are doing well. Several of them have buds on them, and one may be open soon. I'll try to get some shots when I return from a brief "excursion" up to Kapuskasing ( where my wife was born and raised.....need I say more? LOL)

John

• bonniepunch
    15 years ago

Diane - the botanical gardens here has all their Dahlias starting already, and my small ones have been flowering for a couple of weeks. It's a good year for them I guess!

jroot - beautiful! I like your water feature in the last photo - that's a really neat way of putting one into a small space. What is the urn part made from?

glasweigan - nice cannas :-). I wish I could grow sunflowers! Bloody squirrels chomp the buds off every time!

I have to get some pics of my plants tomorrow!

BP

• jroot
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, bonniepunch. The feature is new this spring. The urn part is actually made from fibreglass. That way, it is light enough to remove in the winter, when I also will pull the pump.

I'll have to check out the botanical gardens when I come to Montreal this August.

• triple_b
    15 years ago

Gazania Daybreak
    {{gwi:535378}}
    Monarda with Friend
    target="_blank">{{gwi:535380}}
    Snapdragons
    {{gwi:535381}}
    It's a jungle in there
    {{gwi:535382}}
    Zulu Prince Daisy
    {{gwi:535383}}
    I can't wait for the dahlias now!

• jroot
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oooh, I LIKE your Zulu Prince Daisy. Very nice :)

• glaswegian
    15 years ago

Thanks Bonniepunch. Well of course those are some of the cannas you sent me, and boy are they just growing by the day :-)

Once again, thanks for that, really appreciate it. I am going to be in Quebec early next month for 4 months, work related stuff.

I'll be sure to visit several gardens whilst there. I was like going back to Montreal and QC, reminds of being back in Europe.

• triple_b
    15 years ago

Zulu's are GREAT flowers. Sometimes they get to be four-five inches across. A very easy to grow annual, although they benefit from being started indoors. Not necessary but you will get flowers earlier. They have earned a place in my garden every year and the seeds are easy to collect and sprout the next year nicely.
    They close on cloudier days and when the sun is off them then open up again when it is bright enough.

• glaswegian
    15 years ago

My dahlia about to open up, see last pic in the link below. I go by the handle "bullseye"

http://gardentenders.com/topics/309

• triple_b
    15 years ago

My dahlias are about where yours are, glaswegian.

• ianna
    15 years ago

it didn't work. Try it again.

• glaswegian
    15 years ago

I know, am at work and photobucket is blocked. Just copy the link into your browser, leaving out the img tags

• glaswegian
    15 years ago

My dahlia started opening today

{{gwi:535384}}

{{gwi:535385}}

Look at the stem of the dahlia

{{gwi:535387}}

{{gwi:535388}}

Hydrangea

{{gwi:535389}}

Small sunflower about to open

{{gwi:535391}}

Ornamental grasses

{{gwi:535392}}

Cannas

{{gwi:535393}}

Elephant ears

{{gwi:535394}}

{{gwi:535395}}

{{gwi:535396}}

{{gwi:458643}}

• iris64
    15 years ago

Everyone's flowers are wonderful! So enjoyed seeing them. Thanks for sharing. I have recently taken pics of my gardens, as the original poster said, everything is growing so well this year. Will try to get them on later----as soon as I figure this site out. I am relatively new to this site but will definitely be back!

• diane_v_44
    15 years ago

I sure have enjoyed this posting all the photos

My entire garden is slow this year

As I am new to Barrie Ontario not sure if it is just later here or that my garden beds are new and the soil not terrific yet Not to bad but it takes time to get the soil in the right condition for what you are growing

My Brugmansia have few buds yet, Cannas are not in bloom nor are my Dahlias although my daughter in Newmakret has hers in full bloom and they look terrific

My tomatoes and eggplants look not what they should But, it is okay. Gardeners learn patience and I expect next year and the next will see everything doing better

I am out there everyday, enjoying the gardens and planning, digging and checking for bugs.

What have done well this year are roses and hostas and Heuchra (maybe not spelled correctly) They where planted last fall and look terrific.

I am so looking forward to seeing Canadian Brugmansia and Datura in Bloom on garden web.

• ianna
    15 years ago

Love the photos everyone. Perhaps I can set up my photos soon but I'm just not that techno savy. My front & back yard are in full swing. The lavenders are almost done blooming and so I've deadheaded them so it reproduces new blooms. Same with my 5ft tall delphiniums. My dahlias are blooming, so are my echinacea, sweetpeas, phlox, yellow callendula, coreopsis, shasta daisy and roses. My sedums are about to bloom, rudbeckia hirta and rudbeckia goldsturmm. My only regret is that I've not planned out the design well enough. The yard requires regrouping which I itch to do in September.

By the way Diane, I think the reason you seem behind is because you are in a zone 4 not 6. I'm just below Newmarket in zone 5 and things are in full bloom down here. Barrie is a terrific place. Lucky you. visit the Collingwood area and the nearby towns too. The small house gardens look great. It also does take time for new gardens and so don't expect much the first year. It will be great next year - I guarantee you.

ianna

• jroot
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here are a few more for today.

{{gwi:519898}}
    Enchanted Double White Brugmansia about to open.

{{gwi:519899}}
    On the left is Shorty, a variegated brugmansia, about to open tonight or tomorrow.

{{gwi:519901}}
    Beautiful red NOID dahlia beside a peony poppy

{{gwi:531765}}
    Cafe au Lait dahlia

{{gwi:535307}}
    Lady Darlene dahlia

{{gwi:519902}}
    Peony poppy

• glaswegian
    15 years ago

From today

{{gwi:535398}}

{{gwi:535399}}

{{gwi:535400}}

{{gwi:535401}}

{{gwi:535402}}

{{gwi:535403}}

{{gwi:535405}}

{{gwi:535407}}

{{gwi:535408}}

{{gwi:458674}}

{{gwi:458672}}

• jroot
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Your Elephant Ears, Castor and castor combination is stunning. Well done.

Look at all those tomatoes. I'm envious. :)

• ianna
    15 years ago

Glas, very beautiful. Can I ask you a favour and can you post photos of that trellis/gazebo structure besides your gardenbed? I've creating a garden gazebo or trellis for privacy reasons and perhaps I can use your gazebo as an example.

Ianna

• diane_v_44
    15 years ago

thanks for the encouragement re newer garden in Barrie
    I don't give up Actually many plants have done well, such as my roses, hostas and day lilies..

John sure do enjoy seeing those Brugmansia photos. Please send more

I am going to build, this summer or fall a new gate, made from small branches.
    Any suggestions as to where I might find photos of same

I have been looking on line, but have not seen anything that is just what I am thinking of.

Will just have to give it a go, I suppose.

• triple_b
    15 years ago

glaswegian, you trumped me on the monarda-with-bee picture, haha! There was a slight breeze that came and went so I couldn't get it as sharp as I like.
    I love four-o-clocks. Do yours have that great scent?
    Nice shots!

• glaswegian
    15 years ago

Thank you everyone! Sorry I haven't been on much, the wee one is keeping us busy and awake, but we aren't complaining, as he is just so cute. LOL

As most of you know, this my first year dabbling in gardening, and am chuffed at what I have created so far from scratch without a design or plan. People now stop to admire my front lawn

Here he is against the elephant ears on the front lawn

{{gwi:535409}}

Ianna....I am not sure which privacy thing you meant, the one on the front porch, or the one in the back against the house?

Jroot....here is the variegated, no blooms and no height either

{{gwi:458641}}

Echinacea

{{gwi:535410}}

Sunflower reaching for the roof

{{gwi:535411}}

What's the story morning glory

{{gwi:535412}}

{{gwi:535414}}

Dahlia

{{gwi:535415}}

• jroot
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shorty is appropriately named. It won't get too large. I believe mine is about 3 - 4 feet tall now. It is doesn't get as large as the other one I have. It does do best in the full sun though.

Your EE are amazing, as I mentioned on the G T site. They are an inspiration for me to go back to them.

All of your gardening results look good. You should be applauded for them. Well done.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?