Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jroot_gw

Kiss Me Over The Garden Gate seedlings

jroot
17 years ago

In a garden swap this spring I was given several very tiny seedlings called Kiss Me Over The Garden Gate. They are certainly not tiny anymore, as they tower over my 6 foot height.

{{gwi:535746}}

Comments (8)

• Summer
    17 years ago

Nice border. I wonder if that plant is a Nicandra. I grew one once in a container on my deck. Five years later, I'm still trying to get rid of it as it comes up everywhere including my pavers.

Summer

• calicokitty
    17 years ago

I love the look of the Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate. I have only seen it one time when it was planted in the garden at Tim Horton's last summer. I hope you'll be seed saving. I'd love to try some if you're going to have some seed to swap.

• jroot
    Original Author
    17 years ago

No, it is not Nicandra. I had some, but it didn't come this year for some reason.

The flower of the Kiss Me Over the Garden Gate is somewhat insignificant. Apparently it is a prolific self seeder which could lead to the same problems to which Summerday referred.
    {{gwi:535747}}

• Summer
    17 years ago

Oh, the last pic looks like Persicaria orientals. I've seen Nicandra - Shoofly Plant also being sold as Kiss Me Over The Garden Gate in my area.

Summer

• jroot
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I do believe that you are right, summerday. Well done.

Persicaria orientalis seems to fit the description exactly. Some call it Japanese Knotgrass

Here is a link that might be useful: Japanese Knotgrass

• jroot
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My wife cut the flowers the other day, and put them on her table. After 4 days they are still standing up, telling me that the plant has a strong desire to live and continue its species.

The wind storm we had knocked many over, so I trimmed them off at soil level. We'll see how agressive they are, and whether they show the tendencies of the white japanese knotgrass ( which I had at my last home and moved away from ). My reading suggests that this one is more ornamental and not as agressive, but we'll see.

• wendy2shoes
    17 years ago

So...am I going to be in trouble if they reseed all over your beautiful bed? Any consolation, most of mine died (under the Black Walnut..still an experiment to see what survives under it). Did my white Dats make it? The purples I got from you are doing well.., also, when can I expect to see buds on the Brugs I got from you last year? Having a great summer..hope you are too.

• jroot
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wendy,

No need to worry about the KMOTGG reseeding. Your white daturas did indeed make it and are blooming prolificly in the front bed. My purples are just starting now ( if they can withstand the heat). Brugs will bloom when they feel like it, but after they form their "Y". I have several that are in full bloom now, and others that haven't started or showed any sign of starting even though they bloomed last year. ......mother nature's mysteries....

Have a cool one, Wendy.