Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nico6196

Honey Locust

nico6196
16 years ago

We are looking at buying a Honey-Locust tree. That being said, we do not know which type to buy. We can get a 'Rubylace', a 'Shademaster', a 'Skyline' or a 'Sunburst'. Does anyone have any experience with any of these? Good or bad experiences? We know the 'Shademaster', 'Skyline' and 'Sunburst' are fast growers, is the 'Rubylace' a fast grower as well (its' tag doesn't specify).

Thanks.

Comments (12)

• enjoy

I grew up with one as a kid and to this day I remember how beautiful it was. I would like one as well.
    I think you maybe want to consider how big you want the tree to grow.
    The "skyline" and "sunburst" are about the same size at maturity. "Ruby lace" and "shademaster" are broader and "ruby lace" will not get as tall as the other 3 varieties.
    Connon Nurseries in Waterdown lists 8 different varieties to choose from and seem very knowledgable about their trees.
    I don't know about the others, but Sunburst is thornless and seedless and that is a real plus. Good Luck.
    Joy

• enjoy

I grew up with one as a kid and to this day I remember how beautiful it was. I would like one as well.
    The "skyline" and "sunburst" are about the same size at maturity. "Ruby lace" and "shademaster" are broader and "ruby lace" will not get as tall as the other 3 varieties.
    Connon Nurseries in Waterdown lists 8 different varieties to choose from and seem very knowledgable about their trees.
    I don't know about the others, but Sunburst is thornless and seedless and that is a real plus. Good Luck.
    Joy

• enjoy

Joy

• krystine
    16 years ago

I googled Ruby Lace Locust and came up with a couple of websites that weren't all that positive about it. RUBY LACE HONEY LOCUST (Gleditsia triacanthos inermis 'Ruby Lace'), 15 ft., is not as commonly available as in past years. It is often injured during the winter in the Twin Cities area, sometimes killed to the base. The maroon spring foliage is attractive, but turns an unattractive brown in the summer. It usually has poor tree form.

I bought a sunburst late last year and plunked it in the ground and it seems to be doing well. I can't comment on the others... I bought mine on clearance :)

Here is a link that might be useful: University of Minn Extension

• krystine
    16 years ago

Kind of a craptacular picture, but I wanted to show you the color of the leaves on the Sunburst.

{{gwi:535765}}

• will_2006
    16 years ago

I have a seven year planted Sunburst. it was planted as an 8 foot whip. Everything about it as a plant is great, However it does have one major problem. Because of the yellow leaves from spring to mid summer it is a magnet for leaf hoppers. Last year the tree was stripped in days. I sprayed sevin on it a few times and it recovered, but poorly. This year I was vigilant and the tree is perfect again. The other but minor problem is where there is damage to the trunk from pruning very low branches or other types of damage it wants to set up new branching. Just rub those of the trunk. I think this is one of the best trees for the urban setting actually

• nico6196
    Original Author
    16 years ago

We actually live in a new subdivision in the east end of Guelph. We were looking for some this morning and didn't see any in our neighborhood. Maybe we will be lucky. Thanks for the link, we will definitely keep our eyes out for it. I think we are going with the 'Shademaster' as they are the ones that look the best at the nursery.

• wayner2000
    16 years ago

We have a mature Sunburst Locust, approx 30 ft. high and is located just off our patio. It serves as an excellent shade tree however it's habits in the spring are extremely annoying. It drops it's seeds for about two weeks, we are constantly sweeping the patio. Next comes the sap, droplets of sap drop constantly and the tree hoppers are landing on our food and us frequently. Wayne

• gardener690
    10 years ago

I live in Mississauga and I have problems with my Sunburst Locust tree as well. For about 3 weeks in June little green aphids attack the tree and it literally rains aphids on us below. You can't sit outside in the yard during that period. The worst is the leaf dropping seed pods that clog up the eavestroughs, and make it extremely hard to clean out. Our tree was planted by the previous owner. My advice is NOT to plant this tree since there are so many better ones out there instead.

• BlueLupin
    10 years ago

I live in Pickering. I have 2 trees in the backyard since 2002. This year, for the first time, the foliage is very sparse and I have noticed many small green bugs in the air under them - are they aphids or just look like aphids? I have been blaming it on the cool wet spring but could it be a worse issue? I also recall being told when the trees were planting that they put out 2 sets of leaves - has anyone been told the same?

• ejm0957
    10 years ago

My honey locust trees did not produce any pea pods this year, any idea why? Normally I get a carpet of pods in my yard, I have several large trees.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz