blue Hydrangea I think it is called Niko

diane_v_44
15 years ago

Will it grow well in the Barrie area of Ontario ZOne four

Comments (6)

• ianna
    15 years ago

Hi Diane,

I've earlier mentioned that your area must be in Zone 4 because I'm in Zone 5 (below Newmarket) but recently I checked Barrie's zone and it's really 5A so you are still borderline to Zone 4

Now concnering my experience with Nikko. I understand that these are Zone 6 plants but nevertheless I had purchased one and located them in protected corner in my yard. I had situated it close to a taller shrub and it enjoyed really hot good weather. So I think I may have managed to increase it's microclimate to a zone 6 - and it thrived. So the point is, if there's a possibilty of creating a microclimate for this plant, then it's possible. I also should say, that I have seen similar types of (mature) hydrangeas in Collingwood and also I think in the Town of Meaford - so I think it's fine. I would suggest that perhaps you go on a drive around the areas to observe what seems to thrive in peoples yard. It helps you with the planning.

Ianna

• diane_v_44
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ianna

I have seen them growing around here
    Bought a couple of plants today to give a try

I think, as you mentioned , a rather sheltered spot, and lots of mulch will do the trick

It is a gorgeous plant.

Thanks for your reply

• ianna
    15 years ago

Diane,

One more thing, I'd observed that my Nikko had suffered sunburns when it got planted out after spending some time under a tent. To remedy it, I set up a mini trellis utilizing some bamboo. After a while, it was safe to remove the contraption. I just thought this would be a useful thing to watch out for in case you had your plants mostly indoors for the duration of this planting season.

• glen3a
    15 years ago

Diane, just so others know, there is apparently a "new" hydrangea available called Endless Summer. It's claim to fame is that it was developed in Minnesota, and blooms on both old wood and new wood. So, if the old wood from last season gets destroyed over winter, as long as the plant survives winter there is a good chance it will still produce blossoms.

I am pushing the limits and trying it out here in zone 3.

By the way, is it common for hydrangeas to droop in the hot sun, even if the soil is kept moist? A few times now, mine seemed to droop and the soil around was semi-dry so I watered it and it perked up.

Yesterday, however, I noticed mine drooping but the soil was fairly moist. This morning in the shade it looks normal. I don't want to over do watering as that can lead to other problems. It was warm (29C) and sunny.

Glen

• ianna
    15 years ago

Hi Glen, I suspect root or transplant shock otherwise the water should be reaching all parts of the plants. Is it a goodsized plant before you had set it in the ground? It may be a good idea to reduce it's size to ease the pressure on the plant. If you notice that the symptoms worsen during when the sun is at it's worst, perhaps you will need to erect a screen just to protect it until it's established.

As for zone 3 hydrangeas - check w/ Vessey's. I think they carry hydranges for zone 3. I don't have my spring or summer catalogue with me but I did see some colder weather hydrangea,

• diane_v_44
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for postings re the Hydrangea endeavour in my garden

Glen, if you can grow them so can I.

I have seen in several places Endless Summer but did not purchase one of them

I did, last year, get the plant Pinky WInky Hydrangea and it overwintered fine in the garden No sign of pink on the flowers yet, rather white, but there are several blooms on it and the plant is healthy

Planted now four Hydrangeas, around my pond. Will take a few years, for them to grow to a decent size, but I am visualizing and dreaming of the day. Gorgeous blooms reflected in the pond, fish swimming around, me sitting in a lounge chair (ha ha, I have them sitting there but never seem to get actually sitting for any time) a pitcher of margaritas or bloody ceasers, and a couple of garden catalogs to look through The good old summer days.