Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
black lace shrub

Posted by motts60 midland, ontario (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 6, 06 at 17:58

I have 5 black lace shrubs that I planted 4 weeks ago. They have only grown about 6 inches, I was told that they would grow like a weed. They are planted in full sun. What fertilizer should I use to promote growth or is this normal for an elderberry bush.

Thank-you

Mary ann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: black lace shrub

Hi Mary Ann, I planted mine in May and it hasn't grown that much. I have started using Miracle-Gro in hopes it will take off..........Wayne

o

I bought one and planted it in May or June. Mine hasn't grown that much either, yet. I think they will when they get established. Keeping my fingers crossed! I fertilize mine with Aggrand. Marric

o

Those are beautiful, aren't they! I wish had room for one!

If your new shrubs aren't growing that much this year, I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as you see some new growth, and you have planted it correctly, it's probably just settling in with new root growth this first year. Most perennial plants, and that includes trees and shrubs, don't really take off until the second year after you have planted them.

I wouldn't recomment fertilizing it at this point, beyond some compost or something similar, added as mulch. While it's establishing itself, you don't want it to put out green growth at the expense of root growth - those roots are way more important than new leaves and branches right now. If you do want to use something more than compost, avoid any high nitrogen fertilizers!!

BP

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here