Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Swede Midge

Posted by lynda22 z5 Toronto,ON (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 10, 06 at 18:32

Our collards are not doing so well. From our research it appears to be swede midges. The plant heads (the new growth) is mishapened and curled.

Since this is a fairly new "import" to Canada, has anyone had any experience with it? How can we get rid of it? Should we just give in and cut down the collards and replant with a different plant? We were considering cutting off the affected tops and covering with a mosquito net. But we wondered about the larvae, wouldn't it just trap them in? A smorgasborg for them!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Swede Midge

Floating row covers might be the best way to prevent them from laying their eggs, but you'd have to use them from the early spring on. This year might be a bust for your collards :-(.

If I were you, I would avoid growing any related crops for a couple of years, to let the current crop of pests complete their life cycle and move on. Then you can grow them under the floating row covers from day one and that ought to control them. Or, if you have an available area somewhat removed from your current collard growing area, you could plant there next year, and use the row covers. Let the infested area grow something else for now.

BP

o
RE: Swede Midge

thanks BP for your response. I expected that that would be the case. How disappointing! Our lizard (who loves collards!) will be even more disappointed! I guess we'll give them up for a few years and try again later.

happy gardening!
lynda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here