Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone grow Tamarix 'Pink Cascade'?

Posted by tiffy_z5_6_can 5/6 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 8, 07 at 19:01

I just bought one and am wondering how it grows for you and in what zone you are. I understand this is such a highly invasive tree/shrub in 8 American States that it has been declared a noxious weed, but have yet to see anything negative in our cold climate areas - even in a report from BC.

I plan on placing it in a small area where there are two mature trees - one maple and the other being White Birch - on either side, about 8 feet away. This is a windy area facing north with full sun where the soil is quite dry in mid summer so I'll be watering well for the first season.

I just haven't seen this tree in gardens in this area and love to grow the unusual so this one fits the bill for me. Any experiences with this one??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone grow Tamarix 'Pink Cascade'?

Hi, I live in Montreal, Quebec, I have a relatively small garden. I just bought this plant because it looked so nice. However, when I looked it up I got a little scared and am wondering if I should return it.
Did you ever plant yours, what do you think of the fact that its roots are so invasive? Danger for the foundation of the house?
I would love to hear your opinion.
Thank you

o

Are you perhaps asking about a Tamarisk or is this a different tree/species/genus?

o

Both myself and my Dad have this shrub. Never been a problem. No seedlings, no roots popping up (ala sumac), I do not see it being much of a problem in colder zones.

Cheers,
MG

o

I live in St-Lazare, 40 mins west of Mtl.
I actually bought 1 today after seeing a gorgeous one in St-Zotique not far from where I live.
I have heard they can be tough to grow, some people in Ottawa have lost some, but I wonder if it has to do with the soil more than the weather, they like sandy light soil... I live in clay area! I guess I will have to dig a BIG hole and add some light soil with sand maybe. I actually bought one at Home Depot today
for $15, it`s nice and in flower, about 3-4' tall.

o

... 3 years later. :O)

I did plant it and it promptly died. Never made it through a mild Maritime winter we had. I haven't seen any more for sale nor have I seen it in gardens in this area so I'm thinking it's a no-go.

The Hydrangea Paniculata Grandiflora I put in it's place has done amazingly well!!

o

Just to be very clear about Tamarix 'Pink Cascade'. It is a very nasty plant and no one in Canada should be growing it. It is highly invasive to natural areas despite what it does or doesn't do in your yard. I am the chair of the Saskatchewan Invasive Species Council, and we are eradicating it. All other provincial and territorial invasive species councils realize how invasive it is and do not recommend planting it. Also, agencies in the U.S. are spending millions of dollars to control it. So to address various comments on this forum, I have the following comments:

1) Why would you knowingly plant a weed that is declared noxious in your province? Especially why would you go out of your way to do it and spend a bunch of money to do it? You do realize that what this means is that you have opened the door to the local weed inspector to roll in with the brush saw to hack the tree down and a backpack sprayer full of herbicide to spray what is left over? Better to avoid the hassle and be a responsible gardener and not thumb your nose at provincial law. In most provinces this pleasure also comes with the cost of paying for that guy to kill your tree and can also be accompanied by a fine of up to $5000 in some provinces. Saskatchewan has just passed new weed control legislation that has saltcedar (Tamarix) on the Prohibited (shoot to kill) list. There are lots of options for decorative trees or other ornamental plants without picking ones that are known to be invasive.

2) I don't think that winter hardiness is going to be an issue since we have some domestic plantings that are doing well on their own. In Saskatchewan we just discovered our first 2 populations of saltcedar (Tamarix) growing in the wild - one by a farm dugout and the other in a commercial gravel pit. Each of these populations occurred spontaneously indicating that seed was introduced from somewhere else. There were several plants at one location ranging in age from 2 to several years old.

3) Invasive species means more than just penetrating your foundation and weeping tiles or having to mow up all of the seedlings in your yard. An invasive species gets into natural settings and pushes out native or desirable species and disrupts those habitats making them inhospitable for wildlife. It also has a significant negative impact on biological resource industries such as forestry and agriculture, increasing the cost of food and the need to use herbicides to control these aggressive plants. In the case of saltcedar, it prefers riparian or wetland habitats and one adult tree in that environment can draw up to 300 gallons of water per day from the surrounding soil as well as contaminate the soil around it with high concentrations of salt, which prevents other vegetation from growing. It pushes out native trees from those habitats, creating a monoculture of saltcedar. The high water use rates puts pressure on irrigation and municipal water supplies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tamarix factsheet

o

Chet,

Maybe you should inform the NS Dept. of Agriculture about your concern as Tamarix is not on their invasive list. Unless there is a list out there that I don't know off and can't access through the internet...

What I find amazing is that Milkweed (Asclepias Syriaca) is on their list yet it is a native of the province. I guess if you farm it's an invasive noxious weed, but if you raise Monarchs, as I do, it is purely a stupid classification.

I see your point but have a problem with some of these classifications. Native plants should not be there. If they are detrimental to farming and such, then there should be warnings but if I grow such natives in my gardens then the plant police should let me be.

I have not pursued the Tamarix after it did not survive the winter a few years ago so you can breath again. :O)

o

I noticed too that buddleas are on the list but as far as I can see in Ontario, its not invasive..

Anyway, I've seen a tamarisk growing near my workplace and it's been there for nearly a decade never ever having jumped out or invaded any other location..

Ianna

o

I just planted one in my yard, they guy down the road sold it to me and he finds it slow growing, I am actually excited about having one as they are so pretty when pink. I just looked it up and don't see it on the bc bad list. I don't see brrom or dandylions either and I hate both of those....AND morning glorry is the BANE of my existence!!! I planted it beside a yellow rhodo and a white bridal wreath spirea...

o

I agree with Chet wholeheartedly. Alberta's government just listed all Tamarix species and varieties as Prohibited Noxious, meaning Albertans cannot sell or grow them anymore. All must be destroyed, and for all the reasons that Chet stated. It has been literally a billion dollar problem south of the border and active eradication programs exist on wild populations just an hour south of the southeast corner of Alberta.
In my opinion,times are changing, and perhaps the climate is shifting as well, making possible invasion of species like wild Tamarix which of course is also known as Salt Cedar.
Alberta is asking gardeners here to choose differently for the sake for the whole environment. It would be a great benefit to us for the nurseries and the Home Depots and other retailers of Canada to attend to eliminating this kind of plant from their inventories as scrupulously as they are looking at garden chemicals.

o

I bought Tamarix Pink Cascade I would say four years ago
Year end, garden sales 75% off
Picture looked nice as you say

I had made up this new front flower bed, all across the front of my home here in Barrie Ontario

Soil not particularly good nor did I intend to improve it much. SO looking for things mostly from existing gardens, neigbors, plant sales from churches etc, cheap stuff, to try in these conditions. Yet to fill the bed up so as in front of my house and along the side walk it did look good

Then I read some material, as have you all, about the plant and was concerned at what I had done
Last summer it bloomed and yes is pretty Looked for more of the same plants to put into the bed but no luck

Has not spread at all and has not really grown that much
Tough conditions in the bed
What has done well is Russian Sage, and of course Iris and daylilies Sea Holly, lupins and hosta and sedums.
But do much like the tamarix plant
Is eye catching and people walking by the house, if I am out in the garden bed, ask, what it is.

o

They certanly are beautiful and I have always wanted one!
I am in Barrie too!

o

Sheryl

I know and we have talked together
You have even been going to bring me seeds for something. I forget the name of it

Blooms late summer, tall and when the seeds are ripe they shoot out
I imagine you had the seeds ready for me and I never came to pick them up
Somehow I am beginning each year more and more, now does that make sence, but I am more and more feeling like an old lady

What is it the y say the flesh is strong or something like that but the body week.
Getting all my chores done and as well the same in Florida, seems sometimes a lot to do
Just came in from a battle with the lawn mower. Did get it started and the grass cut but, for an easy start mower, I do not find it to be so.
Off the subject, though, aren't I

There is no sign at all of this plant being aggressive in my garden. Wish it might be so, as it is very attractive

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here