Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sahoyaref

Hollyhock trouble: weird spots/bumps

sahoyaref
18 years ago

Visited my mom yesterday, and her perennial garden (that I mostly planted and designed) is doing well, except for this large white hollyhock. My mom bought it from a neighbourhood lady who has a perennial sale every year. I believe it's a two year old division, and it gets white flowers. It grew very large this year, and it just coming into bloom, but the large leaves are COVERED in these strange spots. From the top of the leaf, they look yellow, but if you look under the leaf, you see that they are actually white bumps with a brown 'head'. A little like pimples, if you will, and just as gross-looking. The bottom leaves have actually been almost completely eaten away, with only the leaf viens remaining. It is extremely unsightly, though the plant appears to be in otherwise good health. It has not spread to the surrounding plants at all. I know that there is something that Hollyhocks are prone to, but I can't remember if this is it or not. What are they? Fungus? Bug eggs? And how can I get rid of them in an environmentally friendly way? (No strong chemicals). If this will be a never-ending battle, please let me know, so that we can just grow something else in that spot.

Comments (2)