Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mystery_gardener

Now these I like ....

Mystery_Gardener
17 years ago

We grew some OT (Oriental Trumpet) Hybrid lilies for the first time this year. They have an amazing scent and are quite beautiful to look at. Very large flowers, 8 to 10 inches across and about 4 - 6 inches deep.

{{gwi:536158}}
'Red Hot' front view

{{gwi:536159}}
'Red Hot' side view

{{gwi:536160}}
'Altari' side view

{{gwi:536161}}
'Touching' front view

{{gwi:536162}}
'Touching' side view

Cheers,

MG

Here is a link that might be useful: My website

Comments (8)

• jroot
    17 years ago

Really nice shots. I wish the little red beetle had left mine alone. Yours are much prettier than mine are now.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

jroot,

At least you have some. LOL! The deers ate mine three nights ago. The buds were about to burst open. Ah well...

Nice ones MG!

• Mystery_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the kudos. We are extremely fortunate in that the red lily beetle has not arrived on Vancouver Island (at least I have never seen one).

The 7ft high fence in the front yeard keeps the deer from these lovelies. No fencing in the back though so the deer eat everything.

I have another OT in bloom, 'Honeymoon'. I will try and post a photo soon. And it looks like I may get one 'Black Beauty', a stunning OT hybrid.

Cheers,
    MG

Here is a link that might be useful: My website

• bonniepunch
    17 years ago

I was thinking of getting some OTs, but I wasn't sure they smelled as nice as was claimed. I'd smelled a few in some local gardens, but they were only so-so. Maybe I'll try some anyway - they're amazing, smell or not! Which ones had the stronger scents, in your opinion? I have tons of Asiatics, so scent isn't the most important thing on my list, but I though it would be nice to have a few that smelled nice.

I'm kind of afraid to get too many though, in case I attract lily beetles. I saw one adult and several larvae and eggs last year for the first time ever (all promptly smooshed). I haven't seen any this year so far, so maybe I will continue to be lucky with lilies. Famous last words...

BP

• Mystery_Gardener
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi BP:

I thought 'Touching' had the nicest scent, pretty strong when they first opened, especially in the evening. 'Altari' was also strongly scented. 'Honeymoon' was moderately scented. 'Red Hot' was the most subtle but still nice.

Cheers,
    MG

Here is a link that might be useful: Our website

• onewheeler
    17 years ago

Oh they are so beautiful, such great photography too. I wish I could find lilies like that around here.

I ordered 5 new pinks and got 3 oranges. Darn.

Valerie

• diane_v_44
    17 years ago

Speaking of the dreaded Red Lily Bug.
    They are indeed dreadful to control.
    I have been so pleased, at the home I have moved to, two years ago, there has been naught a sign of a Lily Bug. And I have quite a few lilies.
    But yesterday, what did I see but four of them on one lily.
    The lily, was getting overgrown by a squash plant, that came up as an over winter plant. I left it there as it is a squash that I particularly like. The lily had flowered and so I just left it.
    This lily then was ovecrowded and in shade of the big squash leaves. That might have been the attraction.

I squished the bugs, and didn't see any sign of that black goop they lay eggs in. Then cut the plant right down, the lily plant, and burned it. Just in case.

Hope I solved the problem early. I am though intending to keep a close watch.

• bonniepunch
    17 years ago

Thanks MG. I really like the yellowish tint in 'Touching'. I'm going to take a look at my garden centre for that one or 'Altari'. They won't have their bulbs in for another month at least, so I guess I'll have to wait to see :-)

diane_v - That black goop is actually larvae poop (they carry it around on their backs). If you see it the eggs have already hatched. Their eggs are laid in one or two lines along the underside of the leaves - they tend to be reddish-orange in colour, pinhead sized (quite small), and can be wiped off with a damp cloth. In the fall, before the ground freezes, dig around a little in the soil or mulch around your lilies. The adults overwinter there, an inch or two below the surface. If you see anything red - kill first and ask questions later!

BP

Sponsored
Koura Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Virginia's Top Choice for Reliable General Contractors