Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
privacy screen recommendations?

Posted by mowgli gta (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 3, 13 at 20:22

hello all,

I have a need to block out a sight line of my neighbors run down garage with the unintentional roof-top garden growing from the gutters, its eco friendly but a scary sight!!

the area I would need hidden is a 15' span along my fence, I was hoping for columnar oaks but the mid to high shade in that area is problem...

the view isn't bad in summer when all other trees grow but the winter view is a problem, so I would like something that keeps its leaves or stays full all winter

any help would be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: privacy screen recommendations?

Columnar cedars? So lush and thick, all year round...

o

evergreens: junipers, cedars, hollies, pines, spruce...

or a beech: beech will keep it's dead leaves until spring.

o

If you have " mid to high shade" in that area (as you indicated in your post), then cedars, junipers, pines or spruce will not be suitable....they all require adequate sunlight to stay thick and healthy.....you will find that these species will get thin and not grow well as the seasons pass......
Yews are your answer.....they will grow and thrive in shade and you can control the height of the tree/shrub by pruning... Since yews rejenerate very well off of old growth, you can prune them hard and they will not die back and keep their shape......
You may also consider Canandian hemlock....another species that thrive in part shade areas and when pruned, you can create a bushy shrub.....
Boxwood is another partial shade shrub that keeps its leaves all winter and would be a good choice as well...

Ian

o

all very good options thanks... I was looking at the beech but wasn't sure if the leaves stayed all winter so that is helpful! I need a tall privacy so I think that's my best option

plus it will add a little color

thanks all very much!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here