Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cookie8_gw

Hardy Hibiscus

cookie8
15 years ago

I am in the Ottawa region and went to two different stores (SuperStore and Home Depot). They are both selling this plant but one is selling it as an annual and the other as a perennial. Can you tell me your experience with it? I really want one. And another thing, there are three stalks and I wanted to divide them to put in different areas but the clerk suggested not to as that is what he thinks he heard from another employee? Can I separate them or do they have sensitive roots? Thanks.

Comments (10)

• ianna
    15 years ago

You will have to identify if it's a tropical or the hardy kind before making any move to propagate it by division. Seasonal employees are notoriously lacking in any plant knowledge and so you will have to do an image search on google to determine which kind you have seen.

The annual hibiscus has a waxy dark green-leafed plant. It's tropical and images of Hawaii comes to mind.

The hardy hibiscus such as the rose of sharon. Smaller leaves and blooms. There are ones that produce a giant bloom - almost like it's tropical cousin.

I suspect you are talking of the hardy type. But do make sure. Tropicals are easily propagated by cuttings or even layering. Because I used to be in the tropics before, I have had lots of experience with the tropical kind. It's the hardy type that I haven't tried to propagate -and so don't have knowledge if it's okay to divide. Someone else could assist here.

Ianna

• cookie8
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Ianna
    It is hardy. They claim the flowers are saucer size. There are no tags or info at the store just a big Hardy Hibiscus sign. I do know they grow no larger than 3 feet high.

• ianna
    15 years ago

Hi Cookie,

Those are ie. Rose Mallows.

There are saucer sized hibiscus hardy from zone 9 and higher. And yet there are also some hardy to zone 5 and higher. So again it comes to having to be able to ID the plant somehow.

In all cases, they will propagate from stem cuttings. there's not much information on root divisions and I can hazzard a guess that it is probably not a suitable candidate for this form of propagation.

Here's a link to one site that describes it's zone 9 cousins. However there are other sites that describe a hardier cousin. This may be the reason why one store's plant was described as an annual and other described theirs as a hardy plant. You may have seen 2 different plants.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/newsletters/hortupdate/jul04/HardyHib.html

• sydseeds
    15 years ago

Here is the type that The Real Canadian SuperStore is selling now:
    Hardy Hibiscus, Rose Mallow, Swamp Mallow (Hibiscus moscheutos)
    As per Dave's Garden, here's some info:
    Propagation Methods: By dividing the rootball; From herbaceous stem cutting; From seed- sow indoors before last frost; From seed- direct sow after last frost; Seed Collecting-Allow pods to dry on plant; break open to collect seeds
    (as taken from: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/982/ without malice)

FYI: I've been growing the RCSStore Hardy Hibiscus for 3 years now - they are the dinnerplate sized fuschia and red ones. Spectacular - I'm in zone 5 and they've come back for me up in zone 4 where I planted a bunch last summer. HTH

• wmc1
    15 years ago

you can't divide by roots for a couple of years until they get a good size, never tried cuttings. Have had them in my garden over 10 years, with no problems. If you want seeds of a few colors, they are easy to start indoors. email me.
    Bill

• diane_v_44
    15 years ago

I as well have grown the `diner plate`hibiscus a number of years. In zone four even, as well

They do die right back mosty so you need to give them time to get going in spring.
    I have my son growing them now at his place in Newmarket and he just loves the look of them

I don`t imagine they put three individual plants in the same pot but if so they could be seperate

I would suggest you soak the plant in a larger container of water then loosen the plant or plants see if there is more than one or not

They are strong root systems and not easily hurt

You won`t get flower this year probably but next year you will be ready to go

• ianna
    15 years ago

Hello all, I've spotted several dinner plate sized plants being sold at HD. If these are the kinds being purchased, I somehow suspect it will require some additional protection in our winters. Gut feeling that's all.

Ianna

• sher_grower
    12 years ago

Most of the messages here are a few years old...anyone out there working with Hibiscus this year? I recently bought one at Walmart's Garden Centre....the tag says "Hibiscus" but not whether it is hardy or tropical. According to the internet, the grower is in Florida, so I guess I can assume it is a tropical one....too bad, it's a gorgeous plant!! I'd like to keep it around a few years! Anyone have experienced suggestions on how to care for it in the house over the winter?

• green_go (Canada, Ontario, z 5a)
    12 years ago

I am growing 2 varieties of hardy hibiscus (Hibiscus moscheutos) for several years already.
    One of them is Kopper King and another one one pure red (don't remember this cultivar's name)
    Here is the picture of my Kopper King, these plants are gorgeous when in bloom. This year, I bough a pure white one.

{{gwi:536327}}

• sheryl_ontario
    12 years ago

I grow many of the hardy hibiscus, several colours, hibiscus moscheutos. They get taller than 3'. My oldest one gts 6' tall every year. Usually there is only one root, even though it has many stalks. The root is a tap root and is in one thick piece. If it's just one plant with many stalks, you won't be able to divide it.

I have grown many easily from seed. They bloom in the third year at about 4' tall.

It's very hardy, gets no protection in winter and comes back every year, bigger than before. It will bloom and do well in full sun or some shade.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022