Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
calicokitty_gw

What is this bush and how do I get more of it?

calicokitty
17 years ago

Does anyone know what type of bush this is? The leaves are maple-shaped and the bush is about 9 or 10 feet tall.

I'm hoping to be able to take cuttings or transplants. I want alot of this to help to hide my neighbor's ugly shed.

Is anyone familiar with this?

{{gwi:536370}}

Comments (10)

• diane_v_44
    17 years ago

Perhaps it is Rose of Sharon

I know I have seen the leaf before.

• ianna
    17 years ago

Looks like something from the prunus family. One that I've seen used as a hedge produces small pink blooms clusters in spring.

Ianna

• bonniepunch
    17 years ago

I can't help on the ID for that one, but if you want more, it should be fairly easy to do.

Assuming the bush is yours, or that you are permitted access to the bush, you can 'Layer' it. Take some existing branches (they can be two to three feet long) and gently bend them over so that the branch is laying along the ground (or at least a part of it, other than the tip, is touching the ground). Strip any leaves off in the area that will be touching the ground. Anchor this branch to the ground (use a stone or a V shapped stick), and cover the bit touching with some soil or mulch. In a few weeks (it might take a few months to a year - it will depend on what the bush is) the branch ought to have put out some new roots from the part in contact with the ground. The branch can then be seperated from the bush, and the new piece dug up and planted where ever you'd like. You can speed the process up a bit by cutting a notch into the branch just below a leaf node - cut through no more than half the thickness of the branch. Some rooting hormone (sold at many garden centers and nurseries) applied to the cut area and the leaf node will also help. You'll have to keep this developing plant watered. This will give you some decent sized plants in a fairly short period of time.

You can also take tip cuttings. Some plants are super easy to root cuttings - you can cut a piece off and stick it in the ground and more often than not, it'll root on its own and you have a new plant for very little work (cuttings can be 12-18" long). Forsythia is like that. Some are a bit harder to coax into rooting. For them, cut a piece about four inches long off the tip of a branch (the cut should be right below a leaf node). Strip off all but the newest two leaves, dip the cut end into rooting hormone, and place the cutting into a pot of vermiculite. Keep the cuttings out of the sun, and keeping them covered with a transparent plastic sheet to keep the humidity up. In a couple of months some of the cuttings will have put out new roots. You should carefully transfer these rooted cuttings to a temporary prepared bed (lose, amended soil)or another container with potting soil, and them bury the pots in the ground for the winter. The cuttings may need some extra protection over the winter, so in the fall, either place a cold frame over them, or place upturned pots over them and insulate in between the pots with leaves. Not all plants will require this extra protection, but since you don't know for sure what you have, you might want to err on the side of over protecting if you have to use this more finicky method. Taking cuttings can give you more plants than the layering method, depending on how many cuttings you take, but they will be smaller.

BP

• Smivies (Ontario - 5b)
    17 years ago

Reminds me of Maple leaf Viburnum (Viburnum acerifolium).

Here is a link that might be useful: Maple leaf Viburnum

• ianna
    17 years ago

Or a currant?

Ianna

• bonniepunch
    17 years ago

Currant leaves have more dentation than that one. At least mine does. That would also be a huge currant bush (wouldn't that be great!).

The leaves do look like Maple Leaf Viburnum, but that doesn't get 9-10 feet tall, and from the big photo, it looks like the leaves are alternate, and the Viburnum leaves are opposite.

BP

• onewheeler
    17 years ago

Looks like a golden ninebark to me. Does it get little clusters of flowers? It does grow that tall here and spreads well, it would make a good hedge.

Valerie

• calicokitty
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think you're right, Valerie. After googling a bit, I also think it is ninebark.
    Thanks, Bonnie, for the great advice on how to layer and to take cuttings. I'm going to get started on those right away.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    17 years ago

If it's a Ninebark, go for the cuttings. I have two of the Gold Ninebarks and decided to trim some branches which were crossing each other. I did this in early May, and instead of throwing the cut branches in the compost pile I stuck them in the ground behind a maple tree which borders the forest.

Passing by them yesterday, DH asked if the Ninebarks had reseeded in that area. All are growing quite well and next spring I'll have an army of them to give away! LOL!!

Now to confirm it is a ninebark, look at the older branches. You should see what appears to be some peeling of the bark on them as thin as paper. If that doesn't show, then I doubt it's a ninebark.

• calicokitty
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ninebark it is! I checked for peeling bark and also noticed the dried up flower clusters that were mentioned earlier. And I'm glad to know that they root so easily. Thanks, everybody.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz