Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Concrete planters

Posted by snowdrops4u2 Zone 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 23, 07 at 22:20

Hi,
I have a large round concrete form that I wanted to put outside to use as a planter for my Hosta. I'm told that if I want to use this concrete as a planter I need to insulate it first. Is this true?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Concrete planters

The larger the planting space, the better the rate of survival. The ones with shallower depths and smaller the interior planting space, the less hospitable it will be for the plants. In anycase as a matter of practice always try to insulate these things with mulching, styrofoam and placing the planter in areas that are protected from strong winds. and perhaps under an overhang. Don't use borderline zone plants - that is use a plant that can survive in zone 4-3 because once you planted them out in a container, conditions would imitate colder zones.

Ianna

o

I have 2 concrete planters out front, they came with our house. I only use them for annuals.

o

Thanks for the helpfull replys!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here