Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
lilac blight

Posted by appletreasure zn 3 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 24, 08 at 23:07

My lilac leaves are getting dry dark patches on them. The patches are spreading from leaf to leaf.
I have one bush that is nearly covered with the dry patches.

Is this blight? Is there any way to treat it?

Would it be ok to pull out the damaged lilac and replant a new one there? I am guessing not likely.
What about any plant?

Thank you for your help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: lilac blight

• Posted by jroot 5A Ont. Canada (near (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 25, 08 at 8:52

One can prune lilacs. I know that there are some leaves on mine which look suspicious. I aim to cut them off today or tomorrow. Also I will cut off the remains of the flowers. They say it is best to prune just after flowering, but we know there are some late flowering lilacs, like the Ivory Silk. They also say not to prune too heavily, but if you are considering removing the tree, surely a good pruning would be a better alternative. You know the situation better though.

It would be nice to see photos, so one could see precisely what you are talking about.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here