Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Edging plants beside flagstone path

Posted by ontarioblossom Ontario (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 08 at 23:08

I have a curving flagstone path leading to the deck and I recently opened up a bed alongside it, about ten feet long and about four or five feet wide, depending on the curve. The other side is grass lawn. The bed is planted with some shrubs and flowers.

Could anyone advise on suitable plants to retain the soil at the edge of the path, without flopping too much onto the path or invading too much into the bed.

My first post!

Thank-you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Edging plants beside flagstone path

sorry no one has given you any advise to date. What sort of bed do you have? Is it sloping towards the path?

You may need simple creeping plants but do take note that creeping plants by nature do get into the pathway. These kinds will hug the earth and so is perfect for soil errosion controls. It is a simple matter of cutting them whenever it gets in the way. Thyme will do and there are several types to create an interesting combination. Avoid invasives such as goats beard, creeping jenny or sweet woodruff.

However you can also consider sedum autumn joy which has a clumping look to it. lavenders or even some low ornamental grasses such as a blue fescu. I like the looks of euphorbia but its sap is toxic and may break easily when one brushes against it, so if it is by a pathway, perhaps it's not such a great idea.

o

I am a big fan of Sempervivums when you want a low border plant. They can form quite a dense clump and will keep the soil in place nicely. The babies can invadea bit for some ssemps, but they are pretty shallow rooted and they pull up very easily.

Some other low plants are Armeria, Dianthus, Ajuga (invasive, but easy to pull up), and Campanulas.

BP

BP

o

Thanks so much bonniepunch and ianna for your excellent suggestions, I apologise for not responding before now.

This forum is so great - looking forward to reaching out again when I need friendly advice. I'm also going to find out how I can post pictures, which as they say, are "worth a thousand words"!

o

Another one that is really nice and looks like it is becoming perennialize in my gardens is a shorter variety of Sweet Williams. Mine grew and flowered at about 8 inches in thick clumps. I bought the seeds at the Dollar Store just because my daughter saw them and wanted some. Glad I did! I am now collecting seeds from them in the gardens furthest away from the tall varieties and hope they come true.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here