Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dllfb

flower plants being eaten=advice please

dllfb
13 years ago

I live in southern Ontario and have a variety of flowering annuals in my flower garden...many are being eaten by a bug and I can't find any to know what is doing so. Rose, dahlias, sweet peas and morning glories are slowly disappearing.....any advice would be helpful at this point.

Thanks so much!

Comments (5)

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

Your culprit is a night feeder and the only way you'll know for sure is to take a flashlight out after dark and have a look.

The 2 most common pests are slugs and earwigs. Slugs tend to eat leaves from the outside in and earwigs usually put holes in the leaves. In any case here's what to do for either one.

For slugs get some slug and snail pellets. The only one available in Ontario is Safers and it won't harm birds or pets. In the evening, wet the ground around your plants and sprinkle some on.

I have had lots of trouble with earwigs this year and I discovered this recipe right here on Gardenweb. It really works.

Bait for Earwigs.
    Equal parts of soy sauce, oil and (molasses or corn syrup). The molasses or syrup is bait to attract them--the oil doesn't allow them to crawl back out and the salt in the soy sauce finishes them off. Put it in a small container(small yogurt container, larger pill bottle, specimen bottle or anything that is fairly deep) covering 1/3 of the bottom with the mixture and bury it up to the brim in the soil. I like the smaller ones because it doesnÂt take as much bait and they are easier to bury into the soil, But my neighbor uses margarine containers. Prop a lid over it so it doesn't get diluted by rain and so it is a nice dark place for them to hide--ha. When you prop the lid, leave a small space for them to crawl into the container. You might have to wait a couple of days for it to work, but mine were full of them the next day. It does work. Your container will be full of them.

• ianna
    13 years ago

In my own garden, I've had large numbers of plants being eaten and since I don't like using insecticides I'm just resigned to this. Mine has large chunks being taken off plants, seemingly overnight. I know at least one is being attacked by the leaf cutting bee (is that the correct name)and the hostas are being attacked by slugs -- easily handled with slug pellets but the others are more mysterious. Then there's a tiny bug making tiny neat circles in grid patterns. I think I've seen that bug, but they are hard to find. Hardly any earwigs in my area this year.

I heard about the benefits of using neem oil and I just might try it.

• dllfb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for your detailed advice oilpainter...I'll be out there bright and early tomorrow a.m. getting the earwig traps ready....as for the slug pellets, I just got some today....do I just sprinkle them all over the garden or do I have to put them around each plant?...I hope its the former because I have a pretty big garden and you can't buy the pellets by the bushel.

• oilpainter
    13 years ago

No you don't have to put the pellets around each plant. Just sprinkle them on the ground where they are doing the most damage--or all over the garden--but I tend to go for where they are doing the most damage. I have completely eradicated them from my flower beds. I put out bait here and there when I first plant. If I find damage I put out more. I haven't had to do that for at least 4 years. Of course it doesn't hurt that my neighbor does too.

Now I'm on a vendetta with earwigs. I was overrun with them this year and all my marigolds were chewed down to the nubs. I have 10 bait stations in my beds and so far I have changed them 3 times. Each time they were all full of the suckers. It's the best thing for earwigs I have ever tried in my 30 years of gardening

• dllfb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well the pellets are spread and the corn syrup stations have been set up...it's dark now...he, he, he...her laugh is evil!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting