Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More of the same weather for August

Posted by dianasan z5a Mtl (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 29, 11 at 23:52

Environment Canada says that the weather in August will mimic July's and that means higher than normal temperatures for the majority of eastern and central Canada, and cooler and wetter for most of Newfoundland and Labrador, Alberta and British Columbia.

I was pleased to see that the sky was overcast this morning, thinking that it would be cooler and more comfortable for the digging and planting I had to do today. But the humidity was so oppressive and it looks like we're in for more of the same.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More of the same weather for August

It looks like we are all suffering from climate change, I'm not complaining too much tho, those that have extremely high temps and drought are really having it rough.
Right now I'm loving our weather, after a very cold winter with lots of rain and snow (our winters are usually quite mild). Spring wasn't much better cold and very wet. Right now we're enjoying the 70's, warm and not too hot, the odd sprinkling of rain but not enough that I don't have to drag the hoses out. If August and September stay the same as it is now I'll be one happy camper.

Annette

o

Cloud cover actually makes it warmer, because the clouds hold in the heat. I don't mind the weather, but I sure wouldn't be saying that if I didn't have A/C!

o

In our region (southeastern BC mountain valley), this year's weather could be described as cool nights, only spottily warm days (a few fairly hot ones), lost of overcast, occasional showers and out-and-out rains, higher than average general humidity.

Not a great gardening year. People are having troubles (in some cases, quite severe) with tomatoes and potatoes, and problems with the cabbage family (esp cauliflower & broccoli), the usually dependable varieties of corn, and pear trees.

Ir's bad enough for us serious amateurs - I've got 5000 sq ft in food gardens - but it's tragic for the market gardeners and small farmers.

On our place, the onion family (incl garlic) has done well, berries okay, artichokes okay, cucumbers okay, apple trees okay.

o

Am I the only one having troubles due to this weather?

o

Market gardeners here in southern Ontario are having trouble with the lack of rain all summer. Unless one can supply water to the plants, the yields are very poor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here