Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bonniepunch

Anyone interested in ordering Clivia seeds?

bonniepunch
16 years ago

I'm thinking about placing an order for some Clivia seeds from The Clivia Store. If there are a couple of other people that want to place an order, I'll email the guy and see if we can have them all combined into one package and sent off (it would be a big savings on shipping). If he's agreeable to this plan, we can place the orders and I would then seperate out everyone's seeds once they arrived and mail them on to the people involved.

If you're interested, contact me within the next couple of days - he might sell out soon so sooner is better.

BP

Comments (6)

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

just moving this down...

BP

• peatpod
    16 years ago

Bonnie .. did you try to get some Clivia seeds from the guys in the Clivia forum??? You might not have to pay for them at all =)
    Laura

• peatpod
    16 years ago

OH OH .. just popped over to the clivia forum and saw your post .. I really should have known better lol. But I am suffering from CRS today .. Cant remember Sxxt What types are you ordering .. I might want to toss my dime into the pot.
    Laura

• Mystery_Gardener
    16 years ago

We call it a CRAFT moment, Can't remember a friggin thing;-)

I lost track of the person I knew who was a clivia freak after they stopped attending the garden club we belong to. How long does it take to grow them from seed? I have a few orange ones (all divisions of one plant). I did successfully produce some seeds on the mother plant but never planted them. Division seemed quicker and I really don't need any more of the same plant anyway. Not sure what happened to the seeds but the DW probably does. Are you looking to get the yellow flowering type or are there others available?

Cheers,
    MG

Here is a link that might be useful: Our website

• bonniepunch
    Original Author
    16 years ago

peatpod - I didn't get any interested nibbles so I didn't order anything in the end. It looks like he's sold out of all the yellow and white ones that I was interested anyway in so I think I'll give it a pass this year. Next year I'll save up my spare pennies beforehand and I'll be ready - if you really want some seeds too I'll let you know when they're available (I'm on the mailing list).

MG - yours is probably a Clivia miniata, it's the most common sort. I have a big one and several smaller seed grown ones as well as a few seed grown hybrids. And yeah, division is way quicker, but it's hard to find a plant with variegation or with unusually coloured flowers for sale - and if you do find one you have to order it (usually from China = phytosanitary certificate)at a price that's too steep for me :-). Many people have to grow them from seed if they want them, and it can take seven or more years to bloom!

My mum always called it a 'senior moment', but she's polite and proper :-) I like CRS and CRAFT better - I'm not senior yet but do I ever have CRS and CRAFT moments!

BP

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    16 years ago

Thought I'd jump in and say I grew Clivia Citronella from seed, it was almost 5 years to the day that my yellow Clivia bloomed. It has bloomed every year since then. It still hasn't produced any pups/offshoots though. Twice I kept it isolated from my other Clivias, pollenated it, got seed but couldn't get them to germinate. On the other hand I took the pollen from the yellow to one of my orange, got the seed to germinate and now have 4 two year old seedlings. It seems the yellow Clivias aren't as easy or am I wrong? I bought my yellow Clivia seed from Seeds of Distinction.

A......