Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Campsis grandiflora

Posted by bonniepunch USDAz4 AgCanz5a (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 4, 07 at 9:53

Anyone else grow this? I started this from seed last year and it survived this past winter - which was pretty hard here in Montreal (no snow cover and cold temps).

References to it indicate it's only hardy to USDA zone 7 or so. I'm wondering if I have the hardier C. radicans instead, or if the plant is much hardier than commonly believed. I did have it mulched and it was in an area that has allowed me to overwinter plants that are not supposedly hardy to my area, so maybe I am just lucky?

BP

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Campsis grandiflora

Hi Bonnie, I've had two for several years. They are growing very fast this year but neither have yet to bloom, M

o

Do yours have any above ground growth that survives the winter or does it die back to the ground? I'm just wondering if I should bury the vine as some people do with some roses...

BP

o

• Posted by mora 6b (My Page) on
    Sat, Aug 11, 07 at 21:54

Bonnie, sorry to be so long in answering. I left the season's growth as is and it took a long time to show any signs of life but when it leafed out it all was well, still no buds but I have heard it can take years in our cold climate to bloom...not exactly what the catalogue said...M

o

You mean a catalogue misled you?!? :-) Heh - if I had a dollar for every time I bought something that turned out to be different than advertised, I'd be rich! Well, ok, maybe not rich, but still - it has happened a lot to me too :-)

Mine looked dead until sometime in mid June - I only knew it was still alive because when I popped it out of its pot I could see nice healthy roots. It's grown a lot though this year so I was wondering what to do with the vine. I think I'll cover the vine with a good thick layer of mulch, just in case. There's a big one at the Botanical Gardens here, so maybe it'll be ok. I have no idea how long they've had it but it's big enough to bloom. I don't know what they do with it in the winter though...

BP

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Canada Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here